My Model T has a forth pedal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My Model T has a forth pedal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Just started this new adventure and bought my first T. 1927 Sedan. Noticed it has an extra pedal just to the right of the brake. Not sure what it does. Have not had time to get under the carpet and floor board to see what it does yet. Have to wait until weekend but I thought someone would know. Horn Switch?? If so it does not work. Pic attached.

Thanx....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Pic not attached. Could be an after market "foot feed" (gas pedal).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

This site wont take the pic. I'll try again later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

(rewind, roll tape)

Pictures on this forum must have a file size smaller than 250K. If you have a Windows machine, here is an easy way to change a picture's file size:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Or a pedal for an exhaust cutout. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Does your car have some type of stick shift? Either Ruckstell or Warford or other? In that case, some owners installed a foot throttle so they would have their hands free for steering and shifting, similar to a modern stick shift car. With a stock T it isn't necessary if both arms and hands are working.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Norm....No stick shift and thanx Mark for the file size tip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Could be a foot throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Foot throttles were common accessories way back in the model T era. My '24 coupe had one on it when I got it. I have several others in boxes, on shelves, etc. Since my coupe has several era accessories, I have kept the foot throttle on it, but rarely use it. I prefer using the hand throttle, even when shifting the auxiliary transmission.

Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Jeffrey, just crawl underneath and look for any kind of linkages and follow 'em to where they go. You'll have your answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Seems like the pedal install was never completed. Or...perhaps de-installed.Notice a drilled hole underneath carpet through the floorboard but no linkage/cable. Thanx everyone for the input. Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Well, one thing for sure, the 4th pedal is not for uploading pictures !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I thought the "forth" pedal was the one on the left ! ;- ) yuk yuk Stomp on it and you go forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

The extra pedal activates the power surge spring for passing and other needs.

When the vehicle is stopped you press on it about 50 times to wind up the spring.
Once you are moving along in high gear you can press the pedal to activate super mode.
Super mode unleashes the springy power and the vehicle will jump forward at a blazing (super) speed for 3 to 5 seconds.
If you are old with limited reactions it will happen so fast you will think you had a brain fart and miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Whats so strange about 4 pedals?!
pedals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Peter - why?

Tracked vehicle without a steering wheel? ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

If it is what it looks to be, independent control for rear brakes? That would be real handy when bogged down in the mud, Maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

What the sam heck is that for a brake pedal?
there aint but 1 band in the transmission.So it couldn't be connected to that and to the rear brake shoes at the same time could it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Hi Peter,

You have intrigued us before with that picture of your brake pedals. Please do remove the floor boards and show us your trick brake setup! Inquiring minds want to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

That's darn intreugeing Pete ! And it doesn't look home made either. Please don't leave us hanging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

This Model T is RHD. The far right pedal is for the transmission brake. It is riveted to a longer shaft with the internal cam to operate the brake band inside the hogshead.

The left brake pedal is for the Rocky Mountain brakes.
It swivels freely on the shaft and works as per normal to apply the RM brakes.

Why, I built this T to do long distance traveling especially for a trip across the United States for the Centennial in 2008. As the trip from Los Angeles to Richmond IN and back was to be a holiday and not and endurance one I didn't want to spend a lot if any time on the side of the road or in a parking lot adjusting brakes.

The normal addition of RM brakes suggests that you set the pedal up so that the RM's work first and the transmission brake after one presses down harder.

Sounds great and despite what some say there is way too much difference in the length of travel and pressure required for each brake system to have such a system work properly for any length of time.

Separate pedals means you know exactly how well each brake system is working and you only have to adjust it when needed.

When I drive I use the RM brakes unless it is raining or I am going backwards. The transmission brake works far better in those situations. If I ever have to do an emergency stop I can hit both pedals at once.

On the whole trip and since then the T has done nearly 20,000Kms I am yet to adjust either brake system.

I attempted to adjust the RM's in Oregon driving down the coast after an afternoon going down a mountain with tight hairpin bends for over two hours where the RM's began to smoke on several occasions, but to my amazement I was unable to take them up half a turn.

Only two brake pedals were harmed during this exercise and the original transmission brake can be returned to the hogshead in the future if desired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Very Clever..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Bill and Charlie posted while I was writing my post.
Here is a photo with the floor boards up.

Hard to see the RM linkage clearly but the RM pedal has a lever fixed to the left side of the pedal and it bends further over to the left so the clutch rod can go back to the clutch shaft folk.
pedal02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Very clever indeed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Thank you Peter. Your description and picture are just what I needed as I have been contemplating something of this sort for some time. You are a clever fellow indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Peter, what did you end up using for the extended shaft, and how do you keep the left (RM) pedal from wandering side to side on the shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:41 am:

John,
The shaft is made from a piece of Model T axle.
The pedal can't move sideways the clevis yokes on the pedal extension and the RM cross shaft keep it in position, it can only move around the shaft.

similar to this ( hope its large enough to see)
clevis yoke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:58 am:

Thanks Peter for all the great info, i appreciate it...Happy New Year. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Peter K, I was hoping that you would chime in here with your four pedal setup!
As I have said before, I am also not a fan of the combined Rocky Mountain brakes being used on a single pedal arrangement with the transmission brake. The adjustments are too tricky and unstable (and people are lulled into a false sense of security in which they do not check the adjustment often enough). I have known a few people to have near disasters because something went wrong.
Your arrangement is much better.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Thank you for the detailed explanation Peter.

I just cannot imagine how I could get my large shoes to depress only the left of the two brake pedals without depressing the adjacent ones. It's challenging for me to depress only the reverse pedal without utilizing one of Tom's reverse pedal extensions!

(Message edited by adave on December 31, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:14 am:

My 10 1/2 d's are to big it seems when driving a T. I usually wear my pointed cowboy boots when driving a T as they fit the pedals better.

A Sasquatch would have a terrible time driving a T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration