Disc wheel covers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Disc wheel covers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

I am looking for a photo of wood spoke wheel covers that fit under the rim bolts and make the wood wheel look like a disc wheel. I do not want to screw them to my rims. Some people say they were put on to keep mud out of the spokes.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:09 am:

anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Tom; I think they were put on to dress-up/modernize the look of the car. They would not prevent mud from getting around the spokes as they are open to the inside, they only cover the outside of the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

OK Thanks I still need photos. Someone was making them a while back I think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

They do a great job of making your Ford look like a Chevy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

I'm sure if you do a google search you will find all sorts of photos and it only takes you a few seconds.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/188643.html?1298457896

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Tom
I have a set of them. I will try to get some pictures this weekend. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Thank you Leon!!!!!!!!!
Do you remember where you got them old or new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

I tried a google search first and the thread given does not have exactly what I am looking for. thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Here's a set I have on my racer. Bought them along time ago early 80,s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Another angle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Somewhere I remember reading that there's a specific washing machine where the bottom of the drum makes a great looking wheel cover. I always kind of wondered if there was a galvanized steel trash can lid that would look the part. Provenance is about right for some of the more interesting speedsters through history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Tom
They are old. The set have the outside wheel covers and inside wheel covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Kent, love your race car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:49 am:

That is one sharp looking racer Kent, would love to own one just like it someday !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

I stand corrected, I see now that there were covers that fit to both sides. I only knew about the ones that go only on the out side. Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Disc wheel covers came may ways. Some were one sided only. Some were two sided. Some cheap sets were nothing more than flat sheet metal, some nicer ones had a nice dish effect pressed or spun into them. I have seen some really nice ones with fancy centers that cover the standard hubs. Others even required taking the wood wheel apart and assembling the covers under the hub flange.
I have played with the idea of getting or making a set to use on my boat-tail. I have mixed feelings about the idea. I prefer the look of covers both inside and outside, especially on an open-wheel speedster. But I really don't like the idea of hiding the wood wheels inside the discs where I cannot check the condition of the spokes several time per year. I think something like that could look good on the car. But my wheels have all original wood, and as they age, age failure becomes more and more likely.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

The one double sided set shown in the link above, the hole to check air looks like a good place to get dirt inside the covers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration