I need pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I need pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Anyone have a chassis without a body on that will take a pic or two of the engine pan arm wood blocks in place? I would like to see what they are supposed to look like . How about a pic or two of a steering bracket wood block , too? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Here's the bracket before the block is installed.

Just slide the block in and put the bolt through it.

Sorry, no pictures of the pan arm blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:22 am:

A chunk cut off a standard scrap of 2X4 works almost perfectly. For both the steering bracket and for the pan arms. The blocks should not fill the frame. Bolt heads, sometimes tail lamp wires, and fuel lines, need some space. Some original blocks had notches or corners cut out of them. I don't have any handy to post pictures of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:41 am:

The blocks should fill the space between the hanger and side of the frame but not the space top to bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:43 am:

Steering Bracket Wood

Crankcase Arm Blocks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Oak is best....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Are these the same for a TT ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:18 am:

Thanks, I have already bought new blocks from Lang's for the steering and pan mounts, as well as the ones for my hood shelves. I wanted to make sure that I was installing them correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:47 am:

I welded a nut on the inside of the starter side of the pan on all my T's, sure makes it easier to attach the horizontal bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:28 am:

This is an original steering block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:30 am:

P.S. some shrinkage may have occurred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Jim E ; That is a very good idea about the nut. I did it straightaway !!!!
Thank you
Toon
2538M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:50 am:

There is no slot for a cotter pin in that nut. If you use a lock washer, you might be tightening too tight. It is very easy to install the nut if you use a box wrench with masking tape to make the hole snug. Then put the nut into the wrench and hold in front of the hole. Turn the bolt in from the outside and when you get the hole in the bolt up and castle nut lined up, you put the cotter pin in. Then turn the bolt to one side and bend the cotter pin. The bolt should be just tight enough to keep the wood block in place without putting a strain on the steel.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

We never use side bolts or blocks, does more harm then good.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

If the blocks and bolts are not installed the frame is much more prone to sagging in my experience. That being said, it is important to just barely "snug" the side bolt of the pan arm. This is one place where a cotter pin is very important and a lock washer is a poor idea. This bolt should NOT be very tight at all in my experience but is essential to prevent frame sagging. Any original car I have found missing these will have a sagged frame. If they are there then the frame will likely be straight

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration