Old Photo - ModelT Era - Auto Camping Trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - ModelT Era - Auto Camping Trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Hmm, maybe, but looks later to me - 1960's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

late 20s wheel but to be junked i would say late 30s or 40s. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Wife says the woman's clothing smacks of 40's. But she also thinks it may be a more modern "posed" picture due to some other details such as the condition of the "rags" that are draped over the LH side of the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Early Air Stream ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Dick - Guess none of this really matters, but I don't think it's "posed". Appears that this "camp site" was used for awhile due to litter on ground, too many dishes of vast variety, stuff scattered randomly all over, large trunk in trailer, edge of trailer obviously having been used as "drying rack" repeatedly, muddy tire/wheel, etc, etc. Actually, more "stuff" at left edge of picture that photographer would have tried to show in picture if scene was "staged". My guess (and a "guess" for sure) would be typical scene during "depression era" where common, ordinary folks who have lost nearly everything, just trying to "get by", as independently as possible without having to live with hundreds of others, packed into some "Hooverville" type of situation. Interesting photo for sure though. I keep wondering how (or if) that upright "kitchen type thing" stowes away for travel,.... ???

Thanks again Jay,.... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I do not think they are camping in the usual sense. She and others are living there over more time than just camping. She is holding a flour shifter ( a large one) -not a usual camping item. She is probably going to bake bread. There is a box of baking soda sitting in the bottom shelf of the cabinet. And those are not "rags" hanging on the trailer. At least one is a dish towel. The wash basin is an older style. typical of the 1930s. The is a cooking pot near it. I would say that they have been there for some time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

One other observation that supports the idea that the trailer has been there for a while is the presence of the benches (or stools) beneath the front and rear ends of the trailer. I suspect that's either to make the trailer a more steady platform or perhaps because the tires keep going flat.

My comment on the "rags" was based on my wife's observation that the edges of the cloths are nicely hemmed and do not have any appearance of being tattered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

No leaves on trees and the lady is barefoot. must be early spring or late fall. Probably depression era. Looks to have been there for sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

I believe she may be the unsinkable Molly Brown! RIP Debbie Reynolds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

When did women start wearing wrist watches? my guess is in the late fourtys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Another picture that raises more questions than it answers. The camp trailer/kitchen layout is a dead ringer for a chuck wagon, including the kick-out table. I doubt it the upright folded down, items stowed in the cabinet would spill. Jim, I think you're on to the wrist-watch being a clue to date the photo. I do know my Dad gave my grandmother a wrist watch very similar to the one the lady is wearing, in 1938 . . . so they were worn at least before WW II.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Kauper on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

The rounded perforations at the edges suggest that it is an early 35mm still photo shot on motion picture negative stock. 35mm cameras like the Leica were being used increasingly in the late 1930s by documentary photographers. I'd guess 1938-1941. Cool photo!

Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Looks like a chuck wagon set-up for a round-up or similar ranch event, likely in the 30s or 30s, possibly even early 50s. Her outfit would fit with those time periods--even up to today! The "rags" are more likely aprons and towels for cleaning the dishes and for the ranch hands to clean up before eating, note the wash basin on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

The fact that she has a watch probably takes it out of a GRAPES OF WRATH scenario.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration