Spark Plug Wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark Plug Wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:46 am:

What is the correct spark plug color combination for a 1914? Or where can I find that information?

Thanks and belated Merry Christmas and an early Happy and safe New Year!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:20 am:

The drawings don't specify a color, only lengths, and that the insulation be "20% pure rubber" and the coating must be "hard dyed and glazed cotton" impregnated with "oil resistant varnish."

Gail Rodda makes nice looking wires, light brown or tan woven cotton with copper terminals. I could be wrong, but as I recall by 1914 the terminals were brass. For some reason I didn't note that and I don't remember exactly. But it looks like in order to be correct, the cotton should be varnished.

Incidentally, in 1914 the wires consisted of 37 pieces of 30 ga. copper. Lengths were: #1, 15-1/2"; #2, 11-1/2"; #3 & #4, 8"; and the mag wire was 15-1/2". I know this information isn't what you are asking but some may find it useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

R.V, thanks. I was under the impression that different years used different fabric color combinations for the spark plug wires. I see many different color combinations in the vendor catalogues and on different cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

I know that idea's been around awhile, but I haven't found any ARCHIVAL evidence of it. The only changes listed over the years are the composition (size and # of wires), length, terminals (later), and method of soldering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Thanks, R.V. That's a big help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:12 am:

You could customize. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Steve - do you have a picture of the whole vehicle that engine close up is from?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration