Clean INSIDE of Exhaust Manifold? And, if so, with what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clean INSIDE of Exhaust Manifold? And, if so, with what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Replacing my freeze plugs and manifold gaskets this weekend. We took the exhaust manifold complete off for ease, and noticed that the inside of it is extremely carbon and greasy filled. I didn't clean the inside when I worked on the engine after my purchase from the previous owner. So I don't know if it's 100 years of gunk or only a few.
Is it is what it is? Or should I clean out the inside while I got it off? And, if so, with what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

After soaking it in good liquid carburetor cleaner, get a metal pan big enough to hold it comfortably, then fill the pan with water and add a triple amount of dishwasher detergent. Put the pan on an outdoor heating apparatus such as a hot plate or a gas grill, get the water boiling, and carefully lay the manifold in. Let it boil for 1/2 hour, adding small amounts of water if needed to keep the manifold covered. Remove, rinse, and dry immediately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Is it straight before you go through the trouble?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

You betcha. Put a straight edge on it and it's sweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Put it in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. Not the oven in the kitchen however. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:24 am:

Better have a good exhaust fan Dave, my shop oven will put a haze in the 1700 square foot shop without a 42 inch fan on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:45 am:

What about the muffler? Is it a good idea to take it apart and clean it occasionaly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:04 am:

While I don'T see what harm it could do, I don't guess I see the need to clean the inside of an exhaust system. Am I missing something? Are you getting anything out that's not gonna go right back in there on the next drive? If so, what is the recommended service interval for exhaust system cleaning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Besides the exhaust system the head, block, radiator, transmission and just about every thing else on running gear is very dirty on a hundred year old T. Each one can cause an issue small or large. Throw in bad balance and old mechanical thinking makes it a wonder just how well some still work!----my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:13 am:

If it's just surface stuff and not blocked at all you're probably doing something unnecessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:23 am:

OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a fire hazard like a home fireplace that hasn't been cleaned in decades.
I'll probably run some sort of bristle brush or nylon scrungy though it while I have it off, but not spend a lot of time gatting it back to bare metal on the inside.

My wifes family has a 1917 in the family barn that has the exhaust pipe bypass with the wire leading through the floorboard, so I was thinking that the exhaust system needed to be blown out at some point in time. Guesss not.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration