Checking magnets: What's a "unit"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Checking magnets: What's a "unit"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Is this a gauss meter? What do "units" represent? I assume this particular meter is a scarce item. Is there s suitable modern substitute?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:31 am:

You can find them on epay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I prefer an old piston. Cheaper and more reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

The device is a Magnetometer.
It measures the magnetic flux density of a magnet.
It will indicate in either Gauss or Teslas.
1 Tesla = 10^4 Gauss

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Babb on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

All modern smart phones have geomagnetic field sensors. And there are applications to read the magnetic field strength from these. I do not have any experience with sensors or how accurate they are etc. Maybe someone has given them a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Some were I remember reading if your magnet will lift a two pound hammer your magnet is strong and your mag will work good .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Maybe this a MicroMag USB Gauss Meter - DC Magnetometer for Your PC ?

http://www.lessemf.com/dcgauss.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

I'm going to guess that the units are gauss. (gausses? LOL) 50 teslas would rip your coil frame off the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Your gauss is as good as mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Hal,

I love the video you posted very helpful and informative. I believe they have a similar instructional video on the transmission. It really helped me when I was rebuilding my car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration