Another pre-start thought

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another pre-start thought
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:15 am:

I hope to hear my '21 run for the first time, any day now. I have turned the engine some with the hand crank. I just realized that I have been turning it, and feeling good compression, but have not torqued the head bolts yet. I squirted oil in the cylinders before turning the engine. The bolts were loose, as in "finger tight" when I got the car.One bolt was missing. I ordered a new correct bolt and installed it then just pulled all bolts snug with a wrench. I intended to torque the bolts before starting the engine, but forgot to. Suppose I hurt the gasket by turning the engine with the bolts not torqued? I see no signs of any leakage around the head.What should I do? Remove the head and inspect the gasket? Replace the gasket? Torque the bolts and go with it? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:44 am:

I can't imagine you hurt anything. I torque mine to 40, let it sit for a few hours, reorque to 45 then start the car. If it is a real tight rebuild I run the car at a fast enough idle to keep it from stalling for 5 minutes or until it starts to overheat and then shut it off and let it cool down completely. The next time I start it and run it for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to overheat and then let it cool down completely again. At that point I retorque to 45 and go for a ride! Since your car does not seem to be a tight rebuild I would torque, run until up to normal temperature, let it cool and then retorque to 45. I sometimes go up to 50 but only if I know the threads are good in the block. You don't want to strip one at this point. I am sure others have different ideas about this but it has always worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

And you might want to make sure your first start is outdoors or backed up to an open garage door. After using a lot of ATF to soak free some stuck valves, the T smoked up the entire neighborhood. With oil in cyl and a fresh rebuild, you might smoke like crazy.

Agree with previous post that I don't think you hurt anything by not torqueing initially, but do so gradually. Maybe 40 ft pounds the first go round and then warm up and go up to 45 ft pounds

Might want to consider running straight water in the cooling system and some cheap or old oil the first few start ups and test or short runs, and then change the fluids to get out any debris or shavings from the rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Here's a good mosquito fogger - looks like he had the rear wheels jacked slightly off the ground, I would have jacked them a little higher. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1LesV4QhlM

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration