New composite material float

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New composite material float
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Do I need to coat one of those new floats with something like the cork ones? I've been working on this carb for a week it seems. I fooled with it some today. It was completely dry. I got it back together and not a drop leaked for 30 minutes then I saw a drip. Seems like it's getting worse. I find it hard to believe that it held for 30 minutes then all on it's on started to drip. I don't know what that new "space age" material is but I think it absorbs gas. I've never read that you have to coat them but I've never read that you don't either. It looks like as good of a sponge as cork, space age or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

It's dripping more. I'm going to take it out and let it dry and coat it like it's cork. Model T and space age is like ketchup on a chocolate cake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Good one, Corey!

Good luck with your carb. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

What are you going to coat it with ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Why don't you polish your float needle, then reinstall it and kiss it lightly with a small hammer. The new needles are not finished well from what I have read on the forum.

You might also put your float in a glass of gasoline and check it out.mm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

I always coat the cork ones with blue pvc pipe glue. 3 light coats. I read to do that on the HCCA forum several years ago when they came out with ethanol and it ate the shellac and all my gas drained out. I know it's been at least 8 years because I still lived in town then. Did a G and 4 ball Kingston. Grose jet gives me problems on the 4 ball but the G works great. It has an original needle/seat but I put the cork float in it. Float came out of this one I'm rebuilding now. I just bought it to get the float then the other day I got the idea I could rebuild it and sell it. And I probably can but I'll have 80 hours of labor in it, but if it take 160 hours it ain't going to leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Ted, I've already done that. It held a vacuum ok, then installed it held gas for almost 30 minutes. I think it soaked up some gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Let us know how it works. I fashioned a float out of the new material for a T carburetor and everything worked great for a few days. One morning I smelled something from the kitchen. I walked into the garage and the floor was covered with gas. Overnight it leaked a full gas tank dry. It was days before the gas smell disappeared. I can't say it was the float material, it could have been something else. I'll try it again this spring. But in the meantime would like to know something to seal it permamently. I tried airplane glue years ago and it melted in the gas and created a huge mess. I wonder if Quik Poly would work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

If you're talking about the closed cell material from which you can fashion your own float, it does not need to be coated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration