Storage of Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum (old): Storage of Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Sullens (27t_Oregon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:46 am:

Hello all!

My Grandfather recently passed away and left me his 1927 Model T (the two-seat version - I believe called the Roadster??). He restored it about 25 years ago to fully original, operating condition. I know how to drive it and the basics of how everything works (I am a fairly skilled mechanic, but these things are kinda unique...) I am storing it in my shop and need to know what I should do to ensure that all the time sitting will not damage it. I drained the radiator and set the car up on blocks. Any suggestions on other preventative steps?

My email is kylesullens@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek-Brookshire,Texas (Michaelpawelek) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

Kyle, Place some packets or boxes of Rat and Mouse Bait under the T or inside on the floorboards. This will take care of them ruining the seats and upolstery or getting into the carburetor and making nests in the engine. Been there...done that!...Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Sperlazzo (Tman) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

I own a boat shop and when you put an engine up there are a few things you should do to stop corrosion. First thing I drain the fuel tank and carb or add stabilizer to the fuel tank and run the engine until I am sure the stabilizer is mixed into the entire fuel system. Next thing is change the oil this makes sure there is no moisture held in the oil. Next drain the radiator and refill with the pink R/V antifreeze but make sure that it states on the label that it is for use in an engine if you use the other kind it has alcohol in it and that can damage the hoses. Lastly remove the spark plugs and spray into each cylinder fogging oil take the crank and give it a few good spins than put the plugs back and rest assured that it will give you no problem starting next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edmund Niedzielski (Rajoman) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

Another idea, esp.if there is rodents around, like in rural area, is to stuff a little wad of coarse steel wool in the very end of the tailpipe to keep mice,etc. from climbing in and making a little home inside the muffler or even the engine. (A little bit of family experience talking here). I do not know how they do it or why, but it can happen. Joe's suggestion above about the fuel stabilizer is an especially good idea for all vehicles because the modern gasolines seem to form a type of shellac substance that is nasty to clean out of the more modern and advanced carbs. -Ed N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson (Modelt12) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:39 pm:

Kyle:

I ;not only put stabil in my Ts in the winter but I also drive them for 10 miles to make sure that the stabil is well mixed and is in the Carb. I then shut the gas off and drain the carb. There is enough corn juice in the gas around here that even a few weeks without driving them can cause the varnish. It is so bad that I can make a thumb print in the bottom of the sediment bowl. The corn juice is particularly bad on venturi tubes. I often take the batteries out in the winter and store them in a warmer place. I clean all battery connections in late fall. I have been told and read that you should never store your battery on cement so I place them on a shelf. Like it was said above put DECON all over the place including the floor boards. Lastly be sure to cover the car with something soft.
Mike Robinson's T at a pit stop
http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/yearinfo/2002/Jillian/Roll%201/pic15.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Bowen (Bowenphoto) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

In this issue of vintage ford it says to spray some "fogging" oil into the carburetor until it chokes down. What is "fogging" oil? Name brand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark - Illinois (Mark) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:04 pm:

Fogging oil comes in many different brands. It can be purchased at any auto parts stores, such as Auto Zone...etc.

I used it last year, but never got dad's T to choke out. The smoke poured out the back, and it ran really really rough, but never choked out. But started right up this spring. Would suggest using it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Perigo (Mperigo) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:19 pm:

Mark,

I guess that is proof of the old saying that Model T can run on anything from gas to coal oil to melted candlesticks.:)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jarvi (Tguy) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:48 am:

Irish spring soap also works well for keeping the mice away!! and it keeps the car smelling good also! better than mothballs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Bowen (Bowenphoto) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

Thanks, Mark, I'll give it a try.
Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas L Unger (Nick) on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:44 pm:

Slide the hand break forward into high gear for storsge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:26 pm:

What about heat and cold? I need to put a 1912 body in storage and the garage I'll be putting it in will be extremely hot over the summer. I'm talking metal roof hot. Will that have any affect on the body?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration