1915 headlights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum (old): 1915 headlights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend - Gresham, Oregon (Kwtownsend) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

Does anyone have any definitive answers about 1915 headlights?

In general, my understanding is that after the forked headlights, and the large rimmed headlights, the "standard" 1915 headlight had the focus screw above the contact, L-shaped double contact headlight connector (with lights wired in series), and flat sides where the base mounts onto the fender bracket.

However, I have seen some headlights with the flat-sided base, and the focus screw on the side. Moreover, I have some L-shaped double contact headlight connectors which fit into headlight sockets that have the focus screw on the side. On the headlights with the focus screw on top, the L-shaped connectors point off to the side. I realize that there were some sockets that have the pin arrangement in line with the focus screw, resulting in the pins on the plug to be horizontal, but those seem to be very few and far between.
Were there differences depending upon the supplier?

Does anyone have any double contact sockets with the contact pins in line with the focus screw, or any single contact sockets with the alignment pins perpendicular to the focus screw?

I'd appreciate any light that anyone may be able to shed on this. (No pun intended)

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Hansen (Chrishansen) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

Check the encyclopedia on the homepage
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap 1915 cutoff Shreveport LA (Hap) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

I tried unsuccessfully to post the webpage address for a very similar question, last night. If you want me to e-mail you the address or to try and post it again, let me know. You posted to that one in 2001 or so also. Some good info, but Trent/Bruce/etc. never chimed in with a "this is what the archives said." So it may not be as clear cut as we would hope.
By the way my 1915 just has the wires coming out with no headlamp plug .... and they work fine. With the extra cost of the "L-shaped" plug, I will probably use the straight ones until the car gets in much better shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap 1915 cutoff Shreveport LA (Hap) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

Keith,

I tried to post this last night but I must have done it wrong. The following question was asked on Forum 47

Posted by Robert on August 21, 2001 at 22:11:42: I have always heard that the 1915 electric headlights had the adjusting screw above the electrical socket instead of to the side like most that I see at swap meets. Is this true? Where could I find documentation stating this?
Thanks, Robert

The following link takes you to the second response with links to the remaining responses. Some good info on the subject at:

http://www.mtfca.com/forums/forum47/messages/1313.htm

I will also send you some pictures of 1915 E & J lamps in another e-mail.

Hap 1915 Ford cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jarvi (Tguy) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:39 am:

Which head lights were rarer, E&J, or Browns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap 1915 cutoff Shreveport LA (Hap) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:59 am:

Keith,

I'm not sure which are more rare perhaps someone else does. Bruce has the same or similar pictures in his book and on the encyclopedia pages look under 1915 at http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps Here Bruce limits the "varied" to the early lamps but still has a list of manufactures.

Looking in Bruce's book on page 221 about the lamps/connectors he says, "The right angle connection in the upper left photo (fork mounted bucket - "L" connector) is correct for cars of this period. The "Straight-out" type connector appeared later. Here again, there were variations in the location of the connector, depending on the lamp supplier." In both photos of the fork mounted and stem mounted on the 1915 it looks like the adjusting screw is to the left side as you look at the back of the bucket. The headlamps off my 1918 parts car (with a name like donor you know you are at the bottom of the pecking order in that garage) has the adjusting screw above the light connector rather than to the left of it. My buckets have some funny writing that is very difficult to see. It circles the hole where the connector goes in. It reads something like this, "J ? ? M C J C OL U S A No 520 ??? APRIL 14 1914 " It looks just like the bucket in the attached photo (sent by e-mail), which was advertised on e-bay as original 1915 lights. Note they have the adjusting screw on top and not on the side. When I get over to my Dad's garage, I will look at our 1915. It probably has the original headlight on the right side (still has the brass E & J script with the number on it) and check where the adjuster is. NOTE: I'm not sure how the 90 degree sockets shown on e-bay would work with the adjusting screw in different locations. Would it have to match the type light / socket / bucket / where the adjusting screw was located?

Best case, I just found a pair of correct buckets for my 1915! Worst case they were a repro / replacement part made by someone else -- no Ford script any where on them so far. The black furl part that screws off says "MORSE EUREKA BOSTON" perhaps someone will know if that is just a repro or not. Sorry, I have probably added more questions than answers. But I would like to know someday, before I start restoring the car.

Hap 1915 Ford cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap 1915 cutoff Shreveport LA (Hap) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:07 am:

RTQ - Read the Question --- yes to one of your original questions. The double contact sockets in my two headlamp buckets described above have the contacts in the same line with the adjusting screw that is above the socket. It looks like the e-bay connectors would work correctly on my buckets but not on ones with the adjusting screw to the side. But, I'm still not sure how those socket / elbows work.

Hap

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration