Speedster project update, last work till next fall... :-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster project update, last work till next fall... :-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

It looks like my work season is about over till next fall. I did not make it quite as far as I hoped I would on the speedster project. I had a change of direction that took up some time, but I feel it may have been worth it. Seems I had a craving for an overhead come upon me, and there was no cure for it. So I had to spend a lot of time selling things I did not need, (38 e-bay auctions) and working on getting sold items ready. But after all the extra work I now have a RAJO 4 valve model A head, thanks to Terry Woods selling me his parts. It is one of the repro heads made several years ago in Australia. It is a cast iron head. I found several aluminum heads but I prefer cast iron even if it is heavier. I heard all kinds of "horror stories" about the repro heads, so I also did lots of research, and asked Terry to do some checking, and photos, and tests for me. "Thanks Terry" The head I have has absolutely no issues I can find. I also was able to find a RAJO oil gauge, and a RAJO motometer. I have never seen a RAJO motometer before and can not find any ads or literature about it anywhere. Any info about it will be appreciated. There is also a cast iron dual exhaust manifold, and Im going to build a "Taylor Loudspeaker" muffler for it. The only item I still want to get is one of the Sherman deep sump oil pans. Maybe I can get it before next fall. I have a birthday before then... so I need to start the "hints" :-) I basically have the body finished. I still need to make the trim strip at the bottom of the body and then I can take it to the upholstery shop. I finally got the windshield built and all it needs is glass. So it is finally coming together. If you notice in the photos Ill post, that there is a 2 inch space between the intake and the head. Im making two, 2 inch thick spacers for that area. I needed to space it out to clear the dual exhaust manifold. I also have to use one of the "S shaped" carb adapters that Langs sells. I have it clamped on the manifold in the photos. It lowers the carb to a good location and also will make the carb clear the generator. There is also a "Stan Howe" rebuilt OE-1 carb that came with the head. I may use it, but I may still use my U&J carb. It will be a lot easier to use it, as the linkages will be easier to hook up. I will post a couple photos of an original model A Rajo intake that shows the "hot spot" that serves almost the same purpose of lowering the carb and clearing the generator. I had to remove the "Marvel Mystery Oil" upper cylinder lubricator I had mounted to the passenger side firewall. It was in the way of the intake manifold. So I am using the
CraverOiler" upper cylinder lubricator instead. I think it will look nice with the red "Marvel Mystery Oil" in it. The only other thing of note is the "Columbo" cross drive magneto setup. It will be firing the pink "Firestone Polonium" (radioactive) spark plugs. The pictures are of a quick "mock up" I did to see if everything is going to fit. It looks like it is all going to fit OK, with very little adjusting, or changing of anything. So till next fall I guess Im getting ready to "put her to rest" for now ...

(Message edited by dobro1956 on March 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Seems that my pictures disappeared, so Ill try again here...

16a

16b

20a

20b

21a

mm1

mm2

Have fun and be safe .... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Great Project--Keep us posted as you progress

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

too cool donnie, but really, one or two wishbones would be enough, dont try all four

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:50 am:

WOW! Thanks for the update. What fun.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:33 am:

Donnie, I sent you a PM about your Chicago Transmission, did you get it? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Outstanding metal work...do you give classes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:34 am:

David, I did not get a PM message. my e-mail address is dobro (at) artelco.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:28 am:

I was rummaging through my vast collection of parts I had no idea I collected and found a Craveroiler. I also found an original can of Craveroil. I am thinking about installing it on my 1928 Chevrolet sprint car.

You might check your as mine has lots of age cracks in the housing. It would do for a period look but not sure it will hold oil.

just saying,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Donnie, is it spring already? The wait for more progress is going to be agonizing until the fall, but scoring the RAJO is great and looks fantastic! Thank you for posting what you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Wow Donnie, thanks for sharing.jw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Here is a link to some pictures of the project as it has progressed over the last couple years...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/603440.html?1452932210

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Amazing work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:04 am:

Donnie, email sent. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

So. How come no work until fall? I can work a full time job, go to school, and I still manage to sneak out into the garage.

What's the deal old man?!? Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Seth, It is called "honey Do's". It is vacation time for the wife, she likes to go to Colorado a lot, Then it is family reunion time, then it is all the ball games, Its garden time in Arkansas. Its also time for all the Blues music festivals we go to and play. then its . ??????? but the old man part is what really slowed me down, as I do wear "old man shoes" :-). I do sneak into the garage every now and then. :-) :-). I probably will take it to the upholstery shop and have them get that part out of the way.... Did you pay attention to the pictures showing the space for the 2 inch spacer on the intake. That is going to work very well on my application. It even allows a lot of room for the hood. Probably no good for your application as you want to run 2 carbs. But the spacers are real easy to fab up to go with your intake that came with your 4 valve head, and then the S-intake adapter from Langs is a easy add on, to get the carb where it should be. That way you could have a dual carb and a single carb option ... OK Im tired now, I think Ill take a nap..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Houben on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Hi Donnie,
Super speedster you are building Real piece of art
I am restoring a Lamco1922 with Roof overhead Interested in the lachtes you Used for the trunkdoor . Where did you find Them ?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Hi Paul. I sent you a PM message ... would love to see some pics of your project. Post them here if you want to ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Hi Donnie. (Bumped up to 2017)
Waiting for the next project report.
A great build by a very skilled person.
My report is on its way.
Take care. "Reliable"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration