Good lord does it ever end! So now how do you get the T out of high gear?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Good lord does it ever end! So now how do you get the T out of high gear?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Good lord does it ever end! So now how do you get the T out of high gear? I had trouble with revers so I just resolved to push harder on the pedal. In reversing up the drive way curb section, I must of let up on the pressure, the reverse trans drum slipped, so I pressed hard again down on the pedal, the car farted and then locked up. When restarting it, it would thrust forward because it is gear.

So I pushed it back in the garage as it rolled staccato like and lifted the left rear wheel. It started up but with difficulty. Maybe the timing is off too?

I tried rocking it back and fourth but no luck.

Is this a Bendix issue or transmission issue?

Damn frustrated! But thank you for your responses!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Walk away from it for a few hours then go back and check the basics.
Wouldn't hurt to pull the top cover on the trans.Something coulda come apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Dumb question, is the parking brake handle straight up?

I may be misunderstanding your issue, but if the p-brake handle is forward and you try to hit reverse, it will lock up as you described.

My doodle bug T needs a new parking brake pawl and sometimes in reverse the handle swings forward by itself and stalls the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Also, is the clutch pivot bolt adjusted right?

Re reading your post it seems a little confusing--to me anyhow, but that maybe because your frustrated too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

It sounds like there is a clutch and band adjustment issue.

Park the car on a level surface and put the parking brake handle straight up. With the engine off you should be able to pull up on the crank and turn the engine over WITHOUT the car moving forward.

If the car keeps moving forward the clutch linkage is out of adjustment.

That's the simplest way to check it as far as finding a free neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Clutch linkage came apart, maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Yea I am not seeing straight at this point! The brake lever is up. But the car does roll forwards when hand cranked.

I'll take the trans cover off and check things out and also revisit the pivot bolt.

Thanks, just needed to vent see thru your eyes. It'll work out.

Your thoughts are good and helpful.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Robert, if the reverse was slipping and you continued driving the car in reverse you may have blown the drum apart. You should not have to press super hard on the pedal if everything is in good shape and adjusted right. Take a picture of the inside of your transmission.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

I have had it happen to me once, make sure the bolt on the clutch lever has not moved or fallen out (mine fell out on a tour).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Or slipped off the side of the cam. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I think you need a mentor. Is there anyone you know of in your local area with a Model T? Better yet a local club in the area? It is hard to understand just what the problem is by reading your description. I think it might be the position of the parking brake. If it is all the way forward, you are in high gear. It could also be the adjustment of the low, high, and neutral. You need a free neutral for the car to run in either low or reverse. There are other posts on the forum about adjusting for a Free Neutral. If you push the reverse pedal, you will be trying to go forward and reverse at the same time. The usual thing which would happen would be the engine slow down and stop running. Since the reverse is a lower gear than high, if you push very hard, it might cause the car to run backward, but it would be very hard on the reverse drum.

Someone local could probably help you find the answer very easily, so please join a local club and find someone very familiar with the mechanics of the Model T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Thinking about the title to this post!

No, it never ends!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:14 am:

An easy test for the proper high speed clutch adjustment is to remove the floorboard, set the brake lever to center, ensure the bolt is riding on the cam and force a large screwdriver between the bolt and the cam to raise the bolt arm a little more, then try cranking the engine over again to see if the car still creeps.

The alternate test is to turn the bolt in another 1/8th inch and crank the engine over to see if the car creeps.

If the car does not creep, the bolt is not properly adjusted and needs a few more turns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:21 am:

The next question might be, "what kind of oil is in the engine?"

If it is plain SAE 30 W oil and the temperature is o the low 40 area, the engine might not turn over to start at all.

SAE 5W-20 works much better for cold weather starting without the creep problem.

Then too, in the old days, they just jacked up a rear wheel, unit the oil warmed and thinned out, but in the really early days, the oil was not much thicker than kerosene.

A few times, I have mixed 2 quarts of diesel fuel with two quarts of 10 weight oil to get the engine to turn over freely.

It could soon be removed and changed for 5W-30 oil and apparently never caused any damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

this thread title made me think of the song, "Beep-Beep." If you don't know it, it's about a guy driving in his Cadillac one day when a little Nash Rambler comes up behind him, "Beep Beep,Beep-Beep, his horn went beep-beep-beep" He keeps driving faster through the verses and finally the Rambler pulls up along side him and the diver asks, "Hey buddy, how do I get this car out of second gear?"
I used to own a Nash Metropolitan and we'd sing this song when we drove along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

You guys were gracious to help with your response so I wanted to let you know what happened.

First, in a previous thread I had trouble with a rebuilt 19-20 something engine not starting. The builder is awesome and did a great job. Unbeknownst to anyone, the starter, that worked for a short time, developed a dead spot. For whatever reason it went bad.

Got a new rebuild starter then the engine reverse was too tight. Fixed that with your help but then the car would roll every time it started. Sticky clutch is common so I let it go. Until it got stuck in gear and would not run unless the rear wheel was up.

Come to the rescue is my friend Jim Golden, our club technical advisor. He raised the rear wheel and ran the engine with the hand brake on. This wore down the new clutch plates and that stopped the car from rolling when it was cranked by hand or starter. He also fixed my timing (etimer) and now the car runs great!

A big shout out THANK YOU to Jim Golden for always being my model T mentor and Kevin Prus for an awesome rebuild and to you guys for your continued help and comradery.

Like I said during the now four year restoration, this is the car the forum built!

Here is a previous picture from this past summer.
Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration