OT A very moving performance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT A very moving performance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Here is a very moving performance, especially if you are of Scottish heritage. I don't choke up easily, but this took my breath away. I hope you enjoy it. If anyone objects because it is not hobby relayed, I apologize, but I enjoyed it so much I just had to share it with all my friends here on the forum. Jim Patrick

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP9CPMsJN7Y.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

That's wonderful! While we're at it, here's a spectacular rendition of a grand old patriotic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYN7wfypURE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Most excellent. I just love Amazing Grace played on the pipes the only thing that tops it as a tear jerker for me would be Taps done by a good Bugler. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 02:40 am:

James. I agree. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton Marine base in California in 1974, the highlight of my day was at sunset when a superb bugler sounded "Retreat". He played it slower than most buglers, which I liked much better because it was a little forlorn and lasted longer. My barracks was surrounded by hills which caused the sound to echo through the hills, which made it sound as if three buglers were playing one after the other. I used to go out and sit on a bench and just listen. I found a video that sounds somewhat like what I remember as far as the echo goes, only my bugler played it a little slower. Semper Fi. Jim Patrick

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p831Hu_KQ5s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:18 am:

Beautiful.
Simply,
Beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Jim, thank you for posting this video. Andre Reiu is my favorite musician. I sometimes let his videos run while working on my T. This performance along with Nearer My God To Thee always choke me up. It is far ahead of the trash can music we are fed daily. Without sounding too religious or political I think we should stop trying to be political and socially correct and enjoy life for what it really is, God given, wonderful and short. There I said it. Now let's go out and enjoy our rusty lizzies. Lenney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:52 am:

My dear father in law passed away several months ago. WWII marine in the Pacific theater. He was aboard the USS Missouri for the signing of the "Instrument of Surrender". At his internment a marine bugler played Taps. One of the most moving experiences in my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Years ago, maybe the 60s or early 70s, there was a concert by the Black Watch Pipes & Drums plus a Black Watch marching band? in Wichita. It was at the "Round House" at Wichita State University. I can remember the pipes & drums would come out and play two or three tunes then the band would come out. They alternated back and forth, sometimes playing together. It was really neat! I tried looking them up on the Internet but didn't find anything about upcoming concerts for 2017 in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

I really enjoy the great personal stories and experiences that are generated by a moving performance such as this, that bring to the surface, deep seated emotions that help remind us of the things that are most important to us. Thank you for sharing. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Back in 1955, I was stationed with the Air Force in Rabat, French Morocco. We had been “invited’ to march in a parade in the city, probably for Bastille Day. The Air Force is not normally known for it’s marching precision and we certainly were no exception to that observation. I wouldn’t say we were raggity a$$ed as we approached the reviewing stand, but we weren’t far from it. There happened to be bagpipes playing as we approached and they saved our bacon. Shoulders came back, backs straightened, we got in step and we did ourselves proud as we passed in review. Kind of amazing what those pipes can do, isn’t it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

As a poor excuse for a piper myself, SocltnadThe Brave and Amazing Grace are the two most requested songs for the pipes.

I played an FDR event down in Warm Springs, GA and played Going Home on the pipes and it got a very nice reception.

Most requested things from my neighbors is to shut up or move. It's definitely an outdoor instrument.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Jim, That was just wonderful. Thanks for posting it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Anja was 100% Dutch, but once she moved here, I introduced her to the Scottish community and she blended right in. She was in charge of the St. Andrew Society Burns Night event for a number of years and was the Chair of the Admissions Gate for the St Louis Scottish Games. She was also made an Honorary Life Member of the Scottish St Andrew Society of St. Louis.

The piper at her memorial service played Flowers o' the Forest (because it is the traditional Scottish funeral lament) and Dark Island (because it was her favorite Scottish song). These are not stirring tunes (as many pipe tunes are), but sad ones.

Flowers o' the Forest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsasAlICo8

Dark Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIij7zWdN0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Being a military man myself, I am especially moved by the traditions and history represented by these pipers, who, I believe, are actual active military personnel. I especially like the appearance of the giant of a man with the big mustache who is probably the lead piper.

Not only are the Scottish patriotic, they are brave and fearsome fighters. Many times in history, off in the distance, the sound of pipers could be heard as the Scotts marched toward a battle. A sound their comrades loved and the enemy dreaded for it meant that reinforcements were on their way, many times, to the rescue.

Can you imagine being in a losing battle and way off in the distance, hearing the approaching pipers and knowing help was on the way? It would be enough to bolster your spirit and make you fight twice as hard while making the enemy want to cut and run. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Jim R...I wholeheartedly agree on both counts. Back when I ran the Goodtime, I always ran the Monday evening sunset cruise out of Lakeside. Being a religious community, I always had Sammy, the organist, play Amazing Grace as our "finale" while approaching their dock to unload. Many a tearful eye left the boat while singing along. Might've been tears of joy for getting back alive, I don't know!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:26 am:

I believe that one enemy has described the kilted Scottish warriors as "the ladies from hell."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

I have a small amount of Scottish blood in me, however, it is very strong in my soul. I have loved the sound of the bagpipes almost as far back as I can remember.
Since Jim P first posted this thread, and I looked into it, every time I glance through the forum thread list, it catches my eye. Immediately, I can hear the sound of the pipes in my mind. I love that sound.
I look in here, see the comments from others on this site, and am not surprised that many of my model T friends also like the bagpipes. Model T people tend to be well enlightened. Frankly, I could never understand why some people do not like them.
One bad reason or another, it has been a long time since I have driven in a parade. But one I was in with the Santa Clara club a long time ago, we ended up right next to a bagpipe marching band. I know I sat taller and more proud that mile or so than I usually did. When the club reached the end of the parade route, and regrouped, I was very pleased to hear most of the club members making comments about how wonderful it was to be right there with the bagpipes playing all the way through the parade!
Thank you Jim P, again.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

A bit of Scottish heritage in me as well, with a bad Irish name (then my ancestors went to England and added to the mix). Love the pipes.
That drone pipe. How on Earth can the music still sound great with a single drone? I dunno but it does.
Thank you for starting this Jim. Shoot, you guys had me sniffling even before I went out to the shed and onto youtube. I needed that.
Off topic? Nah, not for me. The '18 Tin Cup got to listen too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Wayne, I may tell many jokes about the pipes, but I love them too. Although Linda's Dad was German, we had a piper at the ceremony. The chapel was beside the graveyard, so we had him play "Amazing Grace" in the chapel, then he proceeded the pallbearers to the graveside playing "Going Home."
Very moving.
We have a friend who plays the pipes and also wears kilts 100% of the time. (The kilts, not the pipes!)
Back in the ancient times, there is some Scot in the Dewey clan, I guess it shows up in odd ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:45 am:

Duey C. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has tears welling up in my eyes everytime I listen to this. I have listened to it a dozen times now, and it still has that effect on me. I find myself saying "Wow!", out loud, when a particularly moving portion comes is played, which occurs about a dozen times. LOL! I'm enjoying reading all of the stories this has generated. Thank you all. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:47 am:

Duey C. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has tears welling up in my eyes everytime I listen to this. I have listened to it a dozen times now, and it still has that effect on me. I find myself saying "Wow!", out loud, when a particularly moving portion is played, which occurs about a dozen times. LOL! I'm enjoying reading all of the stories this has generated. Thank you all. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Seems the older I get the easier the tears come. Being a part scot,a Mckinnon even with our own tartan.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Edinburgh, Halloween eve. We were in the old part of town, where they had a huge bonfire and drumming celebration, when around the bend came the Military pipe band though the narrow streets playing Scotland the Brave. There was not a dry eye on the huge crowd. They marched through the old city and up to the castle. I guess the distance was several miles and you could hear the music wafting through the city. It was a moving celebration, an evening to remember.

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration