26 Speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 Speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Should my 26 touring have a Speedometer in it as standard equipment? If so where would it be mounted. I don't see any holes for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:03 am:

1926 Fords didn't come with speedometers. Buy Russ Furstnows speedometer book, you won't regret it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Robert, from pictures I've seen here on the forum many folks with an improved T have fitted speedometers to the dash. They generally include a bezel that holds the speedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

There was a speedometer offered as an accessory that goes to the right of the switch/ ammeter bezel and it is set in the dash so a hole needs to be made to accommodate it. It is a Stewart speedometer unit and was offered in '26 and '27 with minor differences in the way the cable housing is attached. I have a couple of them but they are buried in the garage and I don't recall the model number off hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Robert,
Various speedometer companies offered speedometers for Ford cars. These companies were NorthEast, AC, and Stewart Warner. The Stewart Warner Models 160 and 490 were the most common speedometers used in 1926 and 1927. Ford did not install any speedometer in their 1926-27 cars.
I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

My '27 has survived 89 years without one. Putting in a speedometer would take much of the sport out of driving my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

But then, how would one determine when "oil change time" was without a speedometer ? I'm running 5 original speedometers in 5 out of 6 T's at this time - to each their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I run original speedometers in all but one of my T's also and am looking for what I need to put them on the one without a speedometer. I like to know how much I am driving each car every year and knowing how fast I am going doesn't hurt either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Steve, I would bet many cars never got regular oil changes because the oil level was being topped up often. The Depression started just after the Model T production ended. My Grandfather often talked about getting used oil that was previously used by people that could afford regular oil changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Thanks everyone. I don't want to cut a hole in the dash so I guess I'll go without. I didn't know if it went under the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Robert, I feel your pain, but I like speedometers! I had a mint late '25 dash, and hated to cut it, but I did. Now the pain is gone, and I enjoy the speedometer. My car turned over 3,000 miles recently since restoration, and how else would I have known?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Larry, You never know. Got to get it running first. Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Robert, Several (including Russ) have commented that both the SW 160 and the SW 490 speedometers were the most popular SW units used in 1926-27. The SW 160 was available from 1919, on, according to Bruce McCalley's books. Most of them were installed on pre 1926 models and required a flat mounting plate. Before the SW 490 was widely available, SW mad a new mounting plate which better conformed to the 1926-27 improved car dash. It angled the head in a way that was easier for the driver to see, instead of mounting it flat as the pre 26 model dashes had been.

The AC speedometer was also available for 26-27 cars, and a lot of owners who have them like them as their cable drive was a 1 to 1 ratio and didn't require the fragile SW swivel, although parts of both brands were made from pot metal which is prone to cracking and deterioration with age.

As for cutting a dash, I was afraid to do it, too, so I bought an extra dash for each of my T's (26 and 27).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:08 am:

The picture below is of my dash. The Stewart 490, which is the proper speedometer for the '26 can be seen to the far right. Speedometers are an aftermarket accessory that T owners had to purchase and have installed after the purchase of their T. The Stewart 490 is smaller than earlier, larger Model 160, because the re-designed, improved, all steel Model T bodies of 1926-'27 (all body styles except the Fordor), had the gas tank relocated from under the seat to the cowl which limited, severely, the amount of room behind the dash. The 160 can be used, but it requires a special angled plate that angles the speedometer up and out, to allow the bigger speedometer to fit in the limited amount of space.

I installed the Stewart 490 in the dash of my '26 coupe in 2011 and have included the thread I made, documenting the process. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/211242.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Robert, No need to drill the dash. Snyder's sells a mount that clamps to the steering column. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/speedo-mounting-bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 11:10 am:

That bracket above is to mount the "modern" head available - not an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Steve,

My wife's new Mercedes starts displaying service intervals on the display board. If you don't get it done it will send you emails. If you still ignore then some mysterious woman living behind the dash will start telling you "it's time to service".

This car also tells you when someone is passing and in your blind spot, it tells you if you wander into the next lane. It will call emergency service if you are in an accident, a chime will remind you if you are getting low on fuel, and the display screen will show you upcoming gas stations and their brand. It also tells you their current price per gallon.

You walk up to the car and the doors unlock, the lights come on. You can remote start the car and set the heating or a/c system plus turn on the seat heaters. It slows down automatically when you are in traffic to keep a safe space between you and traffic in front. They call it intuitive driving.

I might add that the owners manual is 436 pages and even comes with a cd so you can read it on the display screen in the car . There are 143 pages that discuss the intuitive systems in this car. There are 110 pages telling how to use the Nav system, blue tooth phone connections, and the emergency locator system. There are no pages that show you how to check the oil as there is no dip stick for either the motor or transmission. go figure?

I drove my model t coupe yesterday, no one talked to me, no one applied my brakes but me, I manually checked the oil, water, and gas. I kicked the tires to see if they had enough air, I even slapped the spare for air.

After a brief warm up, I drove out of my barn using the tried an true "manual semi automatic transmission provided by Henry" It was smooth and easy offering that comforting low gear whine along with the comforting buzz of my coils. As I drove I kept my eye on my Motometer for a temp check. I was amazed that a human was able to check , start , and drive a car without the computers, and gadgets that are now offered in most new cars.

What is this new world coming to??????

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Wow thanks for all the recommendations. I'm going to try one that has a separate bracket when I get that far. Jim is that a Waltham clock? I grew up about 2 miles from the factory. Of course it was long gone by them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration