FYI Disc Brake alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FYI Disc Brake alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Here's a little info you may or may not know. When I first installed my Sure-Stop disc brakes 2 years ago I installed 4 washers on each mounting bolt to obtain proper alignment. The caliper must be centered over the rotor. On modern cars the caliper is floating and will self-center itself, not on T's, the caliper is fixed. Last year I removed my rear wheels to install adapters to mount Model "A" wheels. I must have reversed my hubs when installing them and was not aware that the calipers no longer aligned with the rotor on the drivers side. I also remember using shims on the axel. This week I installed a Ruxstell under my car and when trying to install the rotors I found that my brake pad on the outside had worn down to 1/2 the thickness of the inside pad and the pistons on the outside were in flush with the caliper. I know now that anytime I pull a rear wheel hub, I will make sure the caliper is aligned with the rotor. There had to be excessive drag on the brake over the past year. Also, the little aluminum tits on the rotors near the pads will squeal as indicators the shoes are low. Anybody know where I can buy replacement pads. Vendors don't show them for sale. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:52 am:

post a pic of the pads...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Try contacting Wildwood Engineering Inc. 4700 Calle Bolero Camarillo Ca. 93012 805-388-1188
Dennis Anderson Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I'll post a picture when I change them out. Thanks Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Go to Wilwood brakes website http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperListLanding.aspx see if you can matchup your calipers and call their number 805-388-1188

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Just call Birdhaven and they will get you the right pad. They sell the whole disc brake kit and replacement parts as needed down the road, such as the pads that you need now. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:59 am:

I got miner through Summit Racing catalog, but Birdhaven would be a good choice,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 07:24 am:

I don't understand why they don't use Floating Calipers.
Toon
0009M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Do they have pistons on both sides? If not, I don't guess I understand how they can work without floating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Hal, They have 2 pistons on each side of the rotor. They are assuming that the 4 pistons will all work delivering the same amount of pressure on the rotor therefor not distorting the rotor. Wilwood makes a premium product and I'm very pleased with my brake performance. I'm not real pleased with the wear period of my pads. I have about 6K miles on my pads and they are about 50% worn. I don't know what to contribute the excessive wear to, fixed calipers (doubt it) or my driving conditions and habits. The cost of new pads is not outrageous. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Thanks Bob. That had me baffled at first, then I began to wonder if maybe they had pistons on both sides.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration