OT, calling in the New Year--Steamboat whistle! What are you doing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, calling in the New Year--Steamboat whistle! What are you doing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Well today I dug out one of my steam whistles, this one is a three-chime whistle last used on a steam launch. It's about 6" high and 2-1/2" diameter with a 1/2 pipe fitting. I fastened a length of pipe to my compressor shed eave and the garage eve (they are at 90 degrees to each other so the whistle is about a foot above the garage roof at that point. Tomorrow night I will put the whistle on the pipe and hook it up to the shop air compressor at 150lbs. (don't want to leave it up there all night or during the day, I'd hate to find it gone!) and when the ball drops, I'll wake up the neighborhood in this canyon! Heh heh heh! It's probably the first time in about 120 years since a steam whistle was heard in these parts, since the gold dredge was shut down. Air won't carry the sound as far as steam will, but it should prove to be FUN!!!
So what are you folks up to for New Years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

I'll drive up to Wichita to see Fences. A lot of movies for grownups, about something real, aren't shown down here in Podunk. We get stuff like Monster Trucks and Evil Dead 6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Putting in the last of the drain vent, followed by the last run of wiring.
Then I'll drop back and bring the water up for the sinks. The objective ....
get the sheetrock up and get this #@! bathroom moving towards finished !

Yeah, .... I sure know how to party ! Woo-Hoo ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:16 am:

Burger,
I guess you're going to feel "flushed" for the New Year, eh???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:21 am:

go to bed December 31st and wake up Jan 1st. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 01:48 am:

It will be SO nice to have this bathroom back online. This is actually
Model T related, .... see, I finish the bathroom by the time the warmer,
drier weather arrives, I am cleared to fly on the shop roof, which will
FINALLY put a cap on a project begun in 2008. From there it is all
inside work ... wiring, plumbing, insulation and the downward slide
towards a comfortable place to wrench, paint, or do whatever I want !

As the new engine creeps along toward completion (projected to be
finished about the time the nice weather arrives too) I will be FREE to
go adventuring on those times I just don't want to bang nails on the
roof frame up.

Woo-Hoo ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Going to Nebraska to get antique Barber chair for my Model T service station. Looks to be about 10 hour round trip tomorrow. Took a lot of doing to get permission from my wife to buy the chair.

Happy New Year!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:12 am:

Invited to go shooting today with my son-in-law, he's hosting some German friends this week. I'm taking an AR15, a Mini 14, a 94 Winchester, 2 Ruger Vaqueros, A Ruger .45, a Ruger 9mm, and a Ruger .22 Hunter. About 60 lbs of ammo.LOL We're going to teach the Europeans about the 2nd Amendment. Should be fun with the Cowboy stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:34 am:

I'm going to the shop and making the finishing touches on Fordor No.3. I won't be restoring the rest of the car (thank goodness). The re-wooding portion and some body work done! That's reason to celebrate...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Hoping to do a little shooting myself Gary. Calling coyotes about dark and may not get home till nxt year. Have two radiators ready for repair,then its time to pull rear axle and go through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Gary, there are probably a hundred forum members right now, who think you ought to be locked up.

My wife and I recently got into N-SSA skirmishing, When we go to a skirmish, we typically have two 58 caliber muzzle loaders and 2 to 3 breech loading carbines in 50 to 54 caliber (150 years old), and 400 to 500 rounds of black powder ammo, not to mention percussion caps. I like to say we have a carload
of large caliber military grade weapons and several lbs of explosives. You can bet that's how the news media would report it, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:30 am:

If thats for skirmish, Id hate see the load for a fight!!! Hal, keep them guessing .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Gary, sounds great! Wish I had an AR-15.
And I aint stayin' up for the "big drop". It'll happen just fine without me. Off to bed at 10 per usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:31 am:

For the first time in nearly 40 years I won't be playing polka music somewhere tonight. So the wife and I took a '26 roadster to a B&B in Stonewall TX. No rain and it should be in the seventies today and there's lots of hill country roads to discover. Ross Lilleker just installed one of those new fangled KT Warfords in it and I'm eager to try it out... Happy New Year to all my Forum Friends!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Gary locked up? No way! Can I come with? Those German's will remember your outing for the rest of their lives.
My neighbor is up (he has a cabin on the next hill here in the woods) and his wife brought her new gun she bought herself for Christmas and has tried it out today. :-)
Good luck tonight Dallas!

David, I LOVE the notion of you tooting your own horn (whistle) tonight! Give it an extra blast for me would you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Gary, I stayed with a French family in Normandy a few years back. The owner had at least as many guns in his house as any serious gun person here. Most were not locked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

I took the wifeperson out for our usual Friday night dinner out. She
wanted Indian. Upon arrival I ordered the Chicken Biryannis and when
asked how hot, with an option range of 1-to-5, I picked 2. What I got
was molten lava that burned my face going in, burned all the way down,
and sat in my gut like a pool of glowing lead for most of the night.

So, being already in the party spirit with an aching guy, I decided to
whoop it up by finishing off my drain vent system and finishing the
conduit to a special distro box for the new power feed. Pulled in the
last outlet wire, and I am almost ready to hang sheetrock ! Now THAT
is a reason to party. Ring in the new year - WOO-HOO !

It is snowing like mad again. The radio guy says 3 to 7 inches. Looks
like I will be digging out one more time for the new year too ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

I read that whole post expecting to hear about the final burn. Not that I wanted to hear about it. Just figured I would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

The "final burn" .... hehehehe !

Years ago there was a stand up comic named Jenny Jones. She later made
quite a name for herself as a trash talk show host. Jenny was a looker and walked
out onto stage amidst cat calls, responding "I am Polish. All Polish girls look
like this" and the crowd howled. She went on to say that growing up in a very
Catholic Polish home was very confusing. She said they had a shrine in their
home ... in the bathroom. She recalled hearing her father in there, praying ...
"Oh Jesus, ... I'll never eat Mexican food again" !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration