A good reason to trash sight glasses

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A good reason to trash sight glasses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:29 am:

This is the level that showed in the oil sight glass on my Tudor both before and after I drained the oil. It is now in the trash and a regular valve is installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Got an air lock in it. Like anything, I suspect these require some sort of regular maintenance. I'm sure Steve will post a pic of his "fail safe" plastic tubing from pet cock to pet cock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Yes, I will. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

My suggestion is to find the cause before blaming the sight glass. It is possible for the petcock hole to be plugged at the pan, therefore not allowing the oil to flow into the sight glass fixture. Also, there should be a breather hole at the top of the fixture that must remain open so the tube can breathe. If the breather is plugged, then an air lock, as Tim described, will prevent the tube from filling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I still blame the sight glass. There is no vent hole on top and there never was one and everything was open on the bottom end. Faulty production...maybe? Regardless, it is gone and it could have been disastrous if relied upon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

You are correct Justin. Faulty production ruins a good plan. The unit must have been freshly installed, otherwise it should never measured properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

To me it matters little whether the fault was the manufacturers or it got plugged during use.
The only device/method that fails safe is the original petcock (without tubing). Yes it can plug but when it does you will be prompted to put in more oil, lots better than too little.
Another case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

I noticed a similar air lock when I first got my sight gauge and was getting inaccurate readings. I drilled a tiny hole in the metal top. It solved the air lock and it has worked fine ever since.

But, I really like Steve's tubing. That seems to be reliable, means no possibility of an air lock, and eliminates risk of glass breaking from pebbles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Unless the oil was old or used for break in, I was wondering why it was being changed in the first place. Looks pretty clean to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Mark, being a new owner to the car I didn't know how old the oil was but I wanted to change it to see what kind of goodies might fall out! Luckily there were no chunks or pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Those kind of accessories are for lazy people, and they have a habit of breaking too. I use an oil checker rod, which I have plenty of, and that makes checking oil painless! That clear plastic tube is a neat idea, but it scares me that it may come off, cause there is little for those non authentic hose clamps to clamp to! I'll stick with original!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

The part pictured above does have a tiny vent hole but apparently was plugged. None the less Steve's idea only poses a problem if you don't turn the pet clocks off which based on some of his post is exactly what he does. Opens them both to check and closes them after checking or adding oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

I had that issue and drilled a tiny he in the top and had no more problems but later when I was under it I put the stock petcock back on it the 26. I change the oil it very regular and check it when I am working on it.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

A petcock can plug when open, a sight glass can plug as can a plastic loop. The only way to check the oil level is to open the petcocks and if it doesn't run oil out push a nail or wire into the open petcock to make sure it is clear of gunk.

The sight glass or loop can give a false reading at your peril...an expensive bearing job. Simple petcocks open and clear are fail safe and tell you exactly how much oil you have. I prefer an open hole rather than something possibly clogged with an illusion of being full, an open hole drains without question...oil or no oil at the proper level!

Tim Moore
Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

All sight gauges are not created equal but mine have given me good service for over 20 years. If something happens,a false reading,or a stone breaks the glass,i promise not to cry,and i will foot my bill. Happy New Year!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Larry, there's nothing scary about the plastic tube. If it falls off, no big deal. With or without the tube, I run with petcocks closed. I open them only when checking the level. I know of only two valid objections to the tube. One is that it's "non-authentic". The other is that the petcock can be plugged. If I had run a hundred miles and didn't see a change of level when checking, I'd sure pull the tube and make sure the petcock is clear. The advantage of the tube is that it shows the level, not just whether there's oil above the lower petcock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Plastic tubing is as period correct appearing as a neon orange 1923 Model T.

There MUST be a better looking way to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

I took the site glass off of mine not long after I started running the engine. Not because of appearance or non period correct,I never could get the bleeping thing to stop leaking oil.
I have to admit,being it don't feel good for me to get on the ground and crawl to check it, the site glass seemed like a good idea.
But I think the dipstick would be a better idea. I am sure somewhere there is a after market ad on dipstick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

I love the look of my sight glass. It is an old one and so fits the stuff I
love about these old machines. Tom Carnegie suggested concern
for breaking the glass while out on the road, and that worries me, but
the problem came to me before I got the engine finished, as while
the sight glass sat in a box awaiting reinstallation, the glass fractured
while just laying there ! So, now I am faced with making a new glass
to get that cool looking widget back in operation.

Honestly, the old engine (and the stand-in) burned and leaked enough
oil that it was habit to check the oil level before leaving the shop and
every 20 miles or so along my travels. I did not rely solely on the sight
glass, but did notice it moved a lot to know it was working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

I use the original petcocks with no problems, but I'm crazy like that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration