I am inclined to believe this is Cincinnati

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I am inclined to believe this is Cincinnati
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Yes sir! My hometown. Top and bottom are the Bellvue incline I think. The middle is the Price Hill incline. Nice pics Royce, where did you find them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Without more pictures this is pretty confusing. Are the crossing power lines high enough for the cars to miss them? How do the trolleys get off the cars at the bottom of the hill? I don't see any tracks or overhead wires for them, nor any platforms at their level when they arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Looks scary! Seems there were 5 or 6 inclines in Cincinnati. Lots more info and pictures here: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohhamilt/picsinclines.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Must have been very stable to move the horse and loaded wagon! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Here's a shot from the bottom. This style of "Funicular" railway was used in various forms mostly in Europe where several examples still are in use today.

The photos are from 1905 when few automobiles existed anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Huh. We do things a bit differently here in the Shire, New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Cincinnati is interesting in the street railway sense, in that we had 2 overhead wires, as the city prohibited the return ground from going into the rails as in the majority of electric street railways. That's why you see 2 double trolley poles. Some of our inclines only went to the bottom and stopped, and the passengers would depart and reboard another street car or other transport.

There is talk here of reviving something along the lines of an incline. I believe the city still owns the right of way on some. You can find remains of abutments and stone foundation work here and there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

This is another Cincinnati incline railway from 1906.

This one is Price Hill, and it was for street or foot traffic only. It did not connect an electric streetcar line like the previous photos from Mt. Adams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

There is still an incline like this in operation in the Mount Washington section of Pittsburgh Pa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

They used to have a few of these here in my town as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Cute little steam engine Bill. Isn't that what they call a "Cog" railway or something like that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Hi Tim,

Spot on:

https://www.thecog.com/

scroll down a tad and watch the short video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Thanks Bill! Surprised I could remember that! Can't remember anything else, just ask my wife. Watching that video all I could keep thinking was "I think I can, I think I can"!! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration