Were original 26/27 Freeze Plugs Brass or Steel?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Were original 26/27 Freeze Plugs Brass or Steel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Replacing my freeze plugs this afternoon and pulled the old three plugs out. All are steel when I clean them up on the bench grinder. Just wondering if these are 90 years old or replaced sometime during the past 9 decades.

They are steel. What were the originals?

My newly installed ones are made by the U.S. mint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Pics Robert? Of new ones installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

See separate thread on my T is now worth 3 plug nickles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Having some issues with photo uploading this evening, but here's one of the tribe in place.

And all buttoned up with manifolds in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Originals were steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Don't think I'd bother with steel orig or not. I'd use brass or the far more fun nickel job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Of the three choices, the nickels are best. They will far outlast steel and are cheaper than brass with shipping. And, of course, there's the cool factor.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration