Fuel valve open/closed position?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fuel valve open/closed position?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I put on a carburetor fuel valve https://www.modeltford.com/item/6055RE.aspx but don't remember which position is 'on' and off. Does anyone know? It has the small size that goes to the carburetor and the large size that goes to the fuel tank. I think that the handle pointing at the fuel tank is on and any other position is off.

True?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Right. And you need to have at least 2 gallons in the tank. Less than that is empty as far as I am concerned. To have decent flow at the carb you want 3+ gallons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I believe that when the handle is in line with the gas line, the valve is open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Jerry is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

That is funny Royce - I learned this the hard way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

I agree with Royce. That's why I wouldn't be without the accessories on the front of my running board. They've already saved me one long walk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

These shut-off valves can serve more than one purpose. When I was a kid my grandfather used a Caterpillar Two Ton crawler to tend his orchard. There was no "on/off" switch. When he was finished with it the only way to turn it off was to turn the gas valve off and let it burn the carburetor dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Like said above. Pointing towards the fuel tank is ON? Right on. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

I was gonna say the open handle usually follows the fuel line, but that is not the case on the sediment bowl as the line comes out the side, but the handle is in the down position to allow fuel to flow.

On the carb shut off, it does point in the direction of both the fuel line and towards the rear of the vehicle, or the fuel tank.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration