How can I close the gap?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How can I close the gap?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I am trying to get my 1913 tee ready for some summer touring. there is about one fourth inch gap between the front section and rear section of the touring body. I think this was the only year the two section body was produced. Does anyone have an idea how to narrow this gap? I am considering removing and resetting the rear half. Lenney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

When I had my '13 I found that by erecting the top it would close that gap. The bodies in certain cars were flimsy. That's why Ford introduced the heavy stamped steel body reinforcements to fix the sagging rear body half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks Royce I did not think of that. I like to drive with the top down but the doors will open on rough roads or with rear seat passengers. Lenney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

If I read this right, you are trying to marry the rear seat section back to the front seat section and need to set the opening for the doors. Are the sills new or had been cut at some point? I am wondering (others may be too) what you mean by two section body? If you are considering the rear seat and front seat as sections, all touring bodies would more or less fall in that description up to 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Mark, I am sorry if I was vague. The rear section including the rear doors is one section with no body panels tying it to the front section. The only thing in common with the two sections is the wood rail. which is still sound. This causes the front and rear section to react independently as the frame flexes on rough road or with rear seat load. This causes a varying width gap between the rear door and front body section which allows the rear doors to come open. Also the gap is plain ugly. Ford supplied to the dealers a stamped steel brace but I understand it did not completely solve the problem. May be I should just ignore the problem and call it the nature of the beast.Lenney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Place shim washers under the back two corners of the body to help push the door gap closer together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

From what I've read, this was an issue even when the cars were new. The lower body rails were made heavier, and the doors re-designed (radius lower corners) in 1914 to help correct the problem. As Jerry noted, shims may help some. Worth a try ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

As well as the reinforcements Royce mentioned, there were also bolt on extra body to frame brackets supplied to help. I believe these were supplied to dealers as a retro fit, possibly before the factory reinforcement.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

My Father-in-Law (b. 1901, d. 1984) had a '13 Touring in their family. He told me that they were going to town one day and when they hit a bump, the entire back seat fell off. They stopped and dragged the back seat off to the side of the road & he said it laid there for a long time afterwards. This shows how weak they were even in the day.

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration