Otis and Frank have a new friend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Otis and Frank have a new friend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Last week this '23 runabout was adopted by our family and seems to be getting along just fine with Otis and Frank. This "new" T is Clarence, after my great uncle who had a '24 just like this one. Runs great on battery or mag, has a working speedometer and even gives me a free start from time to time. This my first experience with wood bands so I'll just have to see how that works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Very nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

GreAt car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Great T. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

It is a 1924 Ford, even if it was assembled in 1923.

Note the high radiator shell, high hood and high cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks Erik. You are more up on that than I am. Just checked the engine number and it dates to September, 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Hi John, That '24 looks really nice. I see you've added a washing machine to the porch. Is the Gas sign new also?

BTW, I really like Otis & have a picture of it above my computer. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

And, it has the trim panel below the radiator. Do the front fenders have the bent-down "lip" to line up with the lower radiator trim panel?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Mark and Keith, here is a photo I just took, hopefully to answer your questions. Regarding the washing machine---been there about 6 months, but the GAS sign has been there for several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

John
Not sure if its a 22,23 or 24 but if you bring it over to my place and leave it here for the summer I bet I can find out.
Just make sure to gas Clerence up and leave the key. Just trying to help.
Very nice !!!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Yep, looks like a '24 to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Great looking runabout John!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Mike, sure good to hear from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

That washing machine looks like the one in my west porch, a more modern replacement for the one in which Grandma used to make butter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

The '23 I bought a couple of months ago for comparison.

'23

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Mark, I saw your photos when you got the car. I've wanted a runabout for a long time and this one just made sense. It was about 30 minutes from home and I knew the owner and the previous owner as well. Both nice, honest men so I feel good about the car. Here Clarence is now with Frank and Otis. It's nice that my wife tolerates my hobby---she likes riding in a Model T too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:32 am:

John very nice, and a shop with no drip pans.....I feel like a piker.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Hi, John -- That's a nice addition to your collection of T's. Thanks for posting that front end detail pic. As Erik and others said above, the radiator and shell, front fenders, hood, and cowl all are '24 model year parts. It's not unusual to have a '23 title for a '24 car. It's also not unusual for T's to have had their engines swapped sometime in the past 90+ years. So this one IS just like your great-uncle's.

You debuted here on the forum with Otis, and I didn't know how you could top that find. Seems like "the hits just keep on coming." (I still like Otis.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Is your splash apron a repro? It should have a hole for the priming wire. All the genuine Ford aprons have that hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

The choke wire comes through the lower right corner of the radiator on this one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration