OT - 110 years ago this month, Ford announced the 6-40 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - 110 years ago this month, Ford announced the 6-40 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

In late January of 1907, Ford announced the creation of a high powered Gentleman's Roadster. Ford and National would each claim to have the first six cylinder roadster on the road. This article says Ford would produce 100 roadsters:

This 1959 publication listed the Ford 6-40 Roadster as one of it's greatest American sports cars, along with 24 other choices. Pretty good company:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Does not look red. What other colors did they offer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Dave,
I believe most K roadsters were red or light gray. However, Ford advertised "any color combination" the buyer wanted by 1908. This December 1906 article comparing features of 1907 cars shows the Ford K body color as "optional." I've found articles about new K's in with many colors, red, dark blue, brown, white and others. Henry Ford's personal K touring was maroon with gold striping and blue wheels:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Good to see you posting K/6-40 new's!! More to come i hope! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Great stuff Rob!! As always, so good to see and read.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Well, look at that! One manufacturer had already discovered the value of an all steel body in 1907. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Thanks Ken and Wayne.

Eric who......

:-)

Happy New Year friends! I've missed you....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Ya, Rob, we've missed reading about the adventures of Rob and the Model K also!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Yes...let's see some new video of you freezing your buns off running the K down the road! :-)

Happy New Year Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Keith, thanks. Denny, come on over, we'll take a brisk ride together..... :-)

It took a while to find, but by mid 1908, the roadster was advertised in "any color combination." By then, Ford had announced they were only producing two models as they geared up for the T, the S Roadster and K Roadster:

Closeup:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I have always liked the early Ford script!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Bud, so do I.

I found this article. By June, according to this, only S and K Roadsters are being turned out:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Ok, order has been restored...

...thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Tim,
As you may be able to see, my pleasure.... :-)

It's been a bear of a year, but time to put things behind me.

I just mailed my registration for the HCCA tour in Oklahoma just before Chickasha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Rob, if you were ever in need of anything I would be willing to bet that there are folks on this forum from coast to coast that would come to your aid.

Here's to your well being...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Rob -- I'm glad to see that you're back in your hobby and back with us. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Mike, you should consider joining me on the HCCA tour. We'll have the fastest car, and if you stay with me, you'll have the loudest snoring roommate. Just a suggestion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:19 am:

I'll give you a call later this morning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration