Band instaltion on a 27T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Band instaltion on a 27T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Does anyone know if there is a correct way or order of instalting the bands on a 27 T ... Thanks for any help ... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

The lining comes from the factory in the correct length. Do not cut it off. The ends should be sealed with some type of glue to keep it from fraying. You start with the rivet colosest to each end and leave about 1/4 inch beyond the end of the steel band. The rivets go in from the steel side toward the fabric. I use a piece of wood for support and drive the rivet into the wood. Then turn it over and clench the ends. Then work toward the center pushing the band material tight against band. The goal is to get the lining against the steel between the rivets. The rivets should be placed with the ends pointing to the sides of the band and clinched into the material.

Once the bands are lined they should be soaked in engine oil overnight. take off the removable ears from the bands and put the bands into the transmission with the end from which the removable piece was taken. The bands should go from the right under the drum to the left side (supposing on left hand drive vehicle as used in USA. Then the removable ear is snapped on. I like to tie the ears together with a loop of string as tight as I can get them. This will make it easier to install the washers and nuts. The brake band goes on first, then the low band, and last the reverse band. That way you can work from the widest part of the hole in the hogs head. After you get all three bands in and the ears on and tied together, stuff the transmission with rags, being sure to cover any area where a nut or washer could fall into the bottom of the transmission. Count the number of rags and do not rotate the drums while the rags are in place. Next install the springs and washers and nuts. Place the low speed adjuster in place. Cut and remove the strings and remove the rags. Adjust the bands so that the pedal is tight when 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. Install the cover and gasket. I like to put silicone sealer between the hogs head and gasket, but no sealer on the top side so that the cover can easily be removed for future adjustments.

Start up and drive the car slowly for a short distance. You will very likely need to adjust the bands again to get 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. You might need to adjust several times until everything has settled into place. Then the adjustment will stay for a long time.

At first drive slowly for short distances so that you can stop and make adjustments until everything works OK. Then you will be ready for touring.

I would recommend the transmission book sold by the national club. It gives complete instructions with pictures.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I haven't done a 26-27, but I suspect it's very similar to earlier years. In that case, the least difficult way for me is reverse first, then brake, then low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:51 am:

Joe G.
Norman suggested.. " The lining comes from the factory in the correct length. Do not cut it off. The ends should be sealed with some type of glue to keep it from fraying."....

What type of band lining will you be using ??

There's the original cotton, questionable quality repro Scandinavian, Kevlar , and wood liners.

Posters have suggested sealing the ends of the Kevlar linings preventing fraying, cotton will lint, repro Scandinavians already have a black goo impregnated, wood in my opinion works for me.

Whatever lining you choose, please follow the installation instructions carefully & drive accordingly. Norm give good advise.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Remove the brake and reverse pedals first.

When you do the bands without removing the hogshead on a 26 - 27 Model T - or any other year for that matter - the easy way to install the bands is in reverse order of removal. So the brake band must go in first because it is in the rear at the narrowest part of the door.

Install all three bands around the drums, then install plastic ty - wraps to secure them so that the brake and reverse pedals can be reinstalled.

I install the washers and nuts with dental floss tied around each one so that I can't drop them.

Make sure the keys are not in the ignition before working on the transmission.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration