Camshaft and advance timing gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Camshaft and advance timing gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale McMurry on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Is there any advantage using the 7 1/2 degree timing gear with a 280 lift cam?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

yup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Maybe. Maybe not. But, if you live in hill country, I agree with Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Greetings everyone,

I thought that the 280 cam already had the timing gear advance built into it. Maybe I am thinking about the Chaffins reground cam. Can anyone confirm this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

I've put hundreds in (cams and gears) and I'm the guy that started selling advanced gears almost 10 years ago. It moves the power band down to a lower RPM - Why is this good? Because the engine by design makes it's best power at an RPM the valves and ports won't let you reach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Chaffin's 280 new cam has the advance already factored into the grind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

You can easily make your own advancing gear from an existing gear by drilling new alignment holes 90 degrees less 7-1/2 from the existing ones. I'd have to think it through again to remember which way to go. Probably somewhere else on the forums.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration