Input information needed on bubkboard body Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Input information needed on bubkboard body Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Restorcreating a WWI machine gun carrier and I was headed down the open light express body route. I was not happy with the slanted sides and overall dimension of the express body and now have discovered the buckboard body style and that is what I am looking for.
I've read some posts on the Austrailian packing vehicles and I know that Ford did not make any buckboard bodies. But if anyone has built one and has some photos or if there are any plans or drawings out there in T land, I am extremely interested.

My metal work and rolling chassis is done and I'm ready to start making sawdust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Can't find a vendor that makes the buckboard, so I'll have to start from scratch. I'm planning on using the express body plans to get the subframe and seat started.

I guess the rest I can make up as I go along. Just thought someone else might have made one or seen one at a show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

This is Australian but called a station car or buckboard, often the back seat is removable so it can carry more.
buckboard

Is this what you are looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:45 am:

That's an interesting version with the back seat. Don't know how you got to it, inless ther is a swing out side door on the passenger side not seen in this photo. Otherwise, you're climbing from the running board over the side of the bed.

But your image heps me with the sill plate, floor board mounting issue. Looks like a very short side rail. On some others I have seen, the side boards are the same height as the bubkboard rear bed side rails and it just extends up to the firewall with one, long board. And, one side would be a door, I presume. Or, no doors like this image above.
Seats look like metal frames. I wonder if someone offers those? Maybe I need to check with wagon or buckboard builders rather than automobile builders for these.

Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Robert, have you searched through the coachbuilt.com website? Not sure if there is anything like a buckboard there, but there are hundreds of wooden bodied vehicles from 1900's on up through the later woodies. Loads of info there. Good Luck, Jim Derocher AuGres, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:59 am:

I had a good friend that restored a real WW 1 military buckboard . He passed away a few years ago . But the car is in a museum in town . I am a volunteer guide there . Now closed for the winter. But I have a key . IF YOU WOULD LIKE I WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES AND SEND THEM TO YOU . I guess I hit caps lock , computers are not my friend. The car is in the book put out around 10 years ago something like Ford Pickups of the past . There is a picture of a truck just like this truck taken in 1917 in the book Great American Woodies & Wagons on page 11 bottom right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I've made several bodies from photos, decide on your body, scale out the photo. Decide the thickness and finish you want and go for it. Once the splinters start flying the body will take on a life of its own. I've done an 1897 Olds Trap, a 1903 Olds, and a 1910 REO truck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration