Diode rectifier

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Diode rectifier
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Using power diode's as a AC mag rectifying current source for battery charging, would there be an advantage in using a "Bridge" full wave setup over a single diode half wave configuration? And, would the #56 bulb, being used as a current limiter, be on the AC or DC side. Just need some help and Happy New Year. May 17 be our best ever. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:16 am:

A bridge rectifier just increases the chances of failure and permanent magneto damage. You just need one diode and an 1156 bulb which is the contents of John Regan's charger.

Previous thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/316646.html?1350113857

No way this will keep a battery charged if you plan on running distributor ignition or a starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:24 am:

A bridge rectifier won't work because one side of the input and one side of the output would be common to each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:25 am:

To achieve full wave rectification, you would have to modify the magneto ring so that neither end of the windings is grounded. You would need a second mag post or insulate the two conductors coming out of the hogshead.

The circuit in the thread Royce points to is only half wave rectification due to the grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

My doctor said something to me about wave rectification and I started to sweat and shake so bad I ran out of his office and sped home as fast as I could. His secretary called me and ask if I was OK and could I get my hearing checked because the doctor was asking about a reaction, not rectification!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:00 am:

In the link Royce posted the initial question is about a "magneto charger". Some people read that as a device for charging magnets, and others read it as a magneto-powered battery charger, and in the ensuing discussion the responses are about those two very different things. Steve Tomaso and a couple of other guys point out that two different issues are under discussion, but in the end I'm not sure everybody gets that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Why put additional stress on a 100 year old device that was not intended to charge a battery. If you are going to upgrade the battery charging system of non generator cars - use a small solar panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Jerry is trying to make his non - generator equipped Model T's charge the battery so that a battery powered starter and distributor ignition can be used. A belt driven alternator is the easiest way to achieve this.

The magneto won't do the job under any circumstances. A distributor ignition takes more wattage to operate than the magneto is capable of producing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Royce,

He never implied that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

For years I ran a distributor, electric fuel pump and starter on my speedster with no charging system. Run all day, put a charger on it at night. On occasion skipped a night and ran two days (350 to 400 miles) and all was fine. A generator or alternator is not really needed if you don't mind the inconvenience of using a battery charger in the evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Jerry V,

Jerry D and I are talking off forum, so I may know more than you think I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Dennis...I didn't run fast enough from my doc last week! (TMI) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Wrecked 'em ? Dang near killed 'em !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:55 am:

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Royce,

That's cheating!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration