True-fire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: True-fire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Does anyone know if they are still making the True-fire ignition system--thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

You can still get them from the vendors, but I don't know if mister Bittner is still making new units.

http://www.true-fire.com/ignition.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

I have onr on my profile car 27 roadster and it works perfect but would like to by a few spare parts to keep on hand myself. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Hi Tim, I have a spare complete True Fire to sell. email me if you are interested. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

James I sent a pm. If I don't answer back till morning I have leave at 6. But when I get to work I will answer your email. Thanks Tim Lloid timlloid@gmail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:19 am:

I have one on Sweet Chariot and it seems to be working great. I need to learn a lot more about this ignition as to how to advance the spark and other operating suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Smith on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:37 am:

I recently purchased a 1912 Touring with the True Fire system however I also need to learn about it. Tried to contact Bittner and received no response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Stephen, you never will. I've tried in the past many times re the one that came with my '20 to no avail. If memory serves me right, Jim Golden is pretty knowledgeable in this critters, maybe he'll eventually chime in. He sent me some "stuff" on 'em quite a while back, if I can find it, I'll PDF it to you and Warren. I'm great at misplacing things. Like my brain.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Stephen..I see this is your first post. Welcome to the insanity! And we're practically neighbors, I'm only 35 minutes from where you are. Joe Bell, a great engine guy, is just north side of Tiffin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Smith on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Tim-- I only live about 5 mile from Joe Bell. You are correct, he is a great engine guy plus a all around great guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Stephen and Warren..Lord have mercy! I FOUND the "stuff"! Check your email inbox. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:18 am:

My understanding is that the Truefire does not have an automatic spark advance option (unlike the e-timer), so you have to have the spark advance linkage hooked up and you have to use the spark lever to advance the spark, just like the stock Ford ignition.

Be sure to check the timing per the Truefire directions! You will likely have to lengthen your timing rod to achieve 15 degrees after top dead center when the spark lever is fully up (full retard). Here is a picture of the typical fully retarded timer position when the timing is set correctly:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Mark, I don't see a timing rod in your photo.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

That's because it isn't my picture, it's one that I found in an old forum thread. It was taken by someone else for the purpose of showing how far over the timing rod hole in the timer needs to be for correct fully retarded timing with a Truefire.

I ended up fabricating a custom, longer rod for my car to give the required length while maintaining plenty of clearance between the rod and the timer terminals over the full range of movement. The picture is not exactly to scale, but you get the idea. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

One of my customers lost the rotor that fits in the TruFire commutator. He called the phone number and a lady answered and sent him a new rotor. So spare parts are available.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration