Holley NH users, got a question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley NH users, got a question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

I have a question concerning the Holley NH. When you close the choke and crank the engine (hand crank for me), is it normal for it to spit gas out the vent hole near the choke plate that faces the engine?

Here is a pic I swiped from the forum and I circle the passage in red. It leads directly to the fuel bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Yep. Normal. And mine does it on about the second pull, which is why I always cringe when I see people suggesting to a newbie to choke for 4 and sometimes even more pulls. Mine would be flooded bigger'n crap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Mine would be too Hal. Two pulls are the norm, maybe three pulls of the choke if it is colder (30 ish degrees).

I was just wondering about the gas spitting out though, it keeps that part of the block REALLY clean, LOL. I don't know what you fellas do with nice cars, but trying to keep paint on the block or the carb for that matter seems impossible with raw gas splashing on everything when choking to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I agree with Hal. It may also help to open the needle a quarter. The spit is normal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

That looks normal to me. Every car is different, and each carburetor and ignition system is a little different. If it were mine, I would first try to start it without choking it. If it doesn't start, choke for one pull and then try again. If not yet try two pulls and try keep doing this until you learn just how much to choke the car. Wait a while between tries, so that the excess gas will evaporate between tries. Once you find out how much choking your engine takes, then do it that way every time.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration