O.K. I give up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: O.K. I give up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

SaraJane will be 90 sometime in April as far as I have been able to determine. What reference are you guy's using to determine your T's birthday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Almost forgot 14816553

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I use Bruces "big book" to check on birthdays, for lack of an actual body number from the factory the engine number "is it". I'm coming up with March 21, 1927. 4770 units built that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

According to "Model T Ford- The Car That Changed The World" by Bruce McCalley, your car was produced on March 21, 1927. One of 4770 produced that day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Sorry, Tim beat me to it! And explained it better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

My understanding is that the engine serial number was stamped on once the engine was assembled. Your car being a '27, that same number should also be stamped on the top of one of the frame rails.

My understanding is also that the time between when the engine was assembled and when the car it was installed in rolled off the line could be as little as two days, or much more if the car was built at one of the branch plants that received assembled engines in bulk from Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Right or wrong? Go with it! It is close enough. One of my cousins thought his birthday was December 1st for the first dozen or more years of his life. His dad had faked a birth certificate to get him into Kindergarten a year early. His actual birth-date was Dec 8 nearly a week after the Kindergarten enrollment cutoff date of Dec 3 (at that time in that county).
The fact is, MOST model Ts cannot have an actual true production date, for many reasons. But most in the hobby have accepted the "official" engine production record for many years. And why not? Records indicate that many engines were installed into the chassis and body added the same day. Many, probably were done within two days. Were you finished becoming who you are two days after you were born?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Thank you now I need to get a copy of Bruce's book

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Somewhere I found a date of May 1921 for ours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

The best form of the Encyclopedia is the disk version because it also includes the service book, all the owners' manuals, parts, advertising literature, etc., etc. Ordering info here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Somewhere, I found as web site that provided the first serial number assembled by day. For my 1916 Touring, the Engine date is June 17, 1916 and the assembly date was June 20, 1916. Wish I could remember where that site was!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Thomas, wow though would be neat to have! To me, that's one of the most frustrating aspects of these cars, just WHEN was it REALLY "made into a car"...If you find it, of course let us know!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration