Speedster at Gooding Auction January 20-21

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster at Gooding Auction January 20-21
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Just got blurb from Gooding about very nice looking "1911" T Speedster coming up at their Scottsdale auction in a few weeks. Nice build. Estimate 40 to 60k. Here's a link to the catalog page: http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1911-ford-model-t-torpedo-speedster/#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

A lot of "mods". I think it's a reach $ wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:45 am:

It looks like it is well built and nicely finished. One could be built for much less than that. It will be interesting to see what it really sells for.
It is fun to look at.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:08 am:

How clean would you have to keep your shoes in order not to scratch the customized pedals on that 27 transmission? Or would you only drive it wearing socks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

G.R.,

Those pedal covers would be gone 10 seconds after I owned the car., (should I be lucky enough to ever own it... not likely, as I won't be in the bidding).

That is however, one sweet looking speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

PT Barnum had a saying. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Maybe it's like a beautiful woman, high maintenance and to much up-keep.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Beautifully built and exceptionally nice photos! I especially like the little "turtle deck" but I have to say, I don't recall ever seeing a speedster built with such a severe tipped-back angle to the seats as well as to the gasoline tank. O.K. if it's comfortable I guess, but those seats are sure layed back! And again, not to be too critical, because it is a beautifully built speedster, but those pedals are just a bit "overdone"! I'd prefer stock, and as far as price, I'd ask about $35 thou' and expect to come down to high $20's or $30 at most! It's nice, but not $40 to $60 nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Warren,

As to both women & cars: some are built for comfort and some are built for speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Okay,....one more thing,.....I understand the need to support that long steering column, but I'm sure that brace would be very awkward to say the least! And by the way, that steering column does look exceptionally long to me. Maybe because of he severe tilt-back of the seats? Still a great looking speedster though,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Harold,

Wow, didn't notice that brace before. OUCH!!!! I'd take that out even before the pedal covers. Don't people consider what might happen in an accident? Yuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:11 am:

This form has had many discussions on originality and the pros and cons of restoration. How can this restro-mod 1911, with obvious modern aftermarket accessories, be listed as a restoration? Caveat emptor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:34 am:

George,

Where did anyone state it's a "restoration"? I don't see that word here or in the auction listing, though I may have missed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:27 am:

This Speedster has been driven approximately 3,000 miles since restoration, ranging from low-speed parade participation to cruising in excess of 50 mph. Combining the best Model T mechanicals with highly attractive coachwork, this custom Speedster is a perfect entry into the exciting world of Brass Era motoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Can't even call it a clone with all the driveline changes. "Tribute car" is a term being used lately for look-a-likes. Maybe that would be appropriate. The seat and tank angle along with the whole steering column really detract from its appearance in my view but to each his own!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Thank you GRC. Is it a "Tribute Car" or a replica 1911? With that, as Model Ts are dated by engine number (in most cases) any guesses on the engine number? Is it a 1911 motor? At some point in the future will be sold again as an authentic 1911?

So, what is the coil box used for if it has a distributor and separate ignition coil??

I don't want to sound negative about this particular vehicle, but someone will acquire the car and be on the forum with a question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

GRC,

Yup, thanks. Missed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

That looks like a one piece valve cover so I don think it is a 1911 (did they still have open valves in 11?) so I think the engine probably came with that transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I was thinking WHY? The seat and tank just doesn't look right. Over all, it's a pretty car, if it were mine I'd have to change those two things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

How sacrosanct!
"Kevlar, 12-Volt alternator, electric starter, tail and stop lights...." There's even an 'ignition coil and distributor'! Does it have a water pump?
What is this world coming to????
The prettiest girl in the swamp usually doesn't require the most make-up...
(Nice looking vehicle, though, and would be fun!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

This is what Tim Rogers was talking about recently regarding the lax application
of terms or outright misrepresentation. In absolution, Ford never built this car, so
any use of the word "restoration" is an outright fraud. But to most schlurps, the
word "restoration" means something in the neighborhood of "made shiny again".

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him fish.

Whaddyagonnadoo ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

George - a friend of mine has a speedster with a distributor and a coil box. He uses it like a glove compartment.

This auction car is what it is. The ad says "restored the chassis" and "built the sporting coachwork". It also says it has a later engine, although it doesn't say what year. Take it or leave it (I'm on the fence), I don't think they're making any claims to originality.

My speedster is built to look like a 1915, is registered as such, and seems to be traceable back to a 1915 chassis (I didn't build it). But there's a whole lot that's not 1915, and it has a 1924 motor. When random people ask me what year it is, I always say 1915, but I never know what to call it when amongst knowledgeable people. Same with the "1912" with a 1925 motor (and glove box) parked next to it. (and - guess what - I don't really care! I bought it to have fun with, and it's certainly filling that bill!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

When asked about mine I say the title says '18 but it really depends on the part you are looking at. No need to pretend that is it something other than what it really is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:10 am:

My $.02, it looks well built but ugly. The proportions are just "off." Things that "bug" me are the seat rake, height, tank location, colum brace, and later rear end (with those wheels). As far as the discription my hat goes off to the person who can drive 3000 miles and have a model T still look like it came out of a paint booth. If a Mercer was the inspiration then why don't the trunk, cowl, hood, radiator, steering, dash, fenders, fuel tank, and heaight reflect this? In fact what other than the fenders which may be stock T torpedo fenders what remotely resembles anything on a Mercer Raceabout other than the fact that its an open car with 2 seats?

There are of course the nagging questions along the lines of why go to all that work on the engine and not add a warford or ruxtel and as Im assuming the battery is in the trunk (otherwise it could be a small one in the coilbox incapable of starting) just how much space is left.

On the positive I do like the seats, the lower backs are an improvement over the rootlieb although the sides could be a little higher for my comfort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

I may as well add my thoughts. I am currently building a speedster that will be very similar. My seats and fender choice is slightly different. I only hope to be able to get to the level of finishes this car has. The question of why no auxiliary trans or ruxtel can be answered . My engine is nearly the same spec and my driveline is as well. This car and mine are surely so light it shouldn't need it. If the tulsa club math is close it should climb a 15 percent hill in high. And a balanced stock engine will propel it faster than I would want to go. I really love seeing well done modified model ts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

While it may climb a hill in high, if you have to slow down can you get back into high? Remember something like a ruxtel will give you that slightly lower gear, very handy when you come around a turn upon a dozen bicyclists . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:27 am:

I think it is a nice looking speedster that appears to be well thought out. Some things I noticed were the large brake drums. Why not? The large drum brakes on a 27-27 rear axle will certainly lock up the brakes at a fraction of the cost of a set of accessory brakes. It's not lowered but it looks good in the photos and the guy driving it looks like he fits "in it" not like some that look like the driver sticks out like a sore thumb. It has a tag under the front seal that indicates it is a Cyclone body. The seat tilted back may be more comfortable to ride on because it gives more support. The only thing that resembles a Mercer Raceabout is the trunk. The gas tank doesn't. I think the Mercer used a round gas tank. What we have here is a much smaller wheelbase so a relatively flat gas tank helps gain some cockpit space. The emergency brake lever appears to hit the seat. That would kind of bug me because I like the position it is in to be "neutral and no emergency brakes". The steering column appears to be longer. Did they modify it or use an expensive 1911 Torpedo column? It all "shows" well. There is generally a difference between "show cars" and "drivers". For instance, the pedals look good but not practical. I agree with Rich Eagle's comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

The guys at Gooding are pretty sharp. The finish on this car must be pretty good. A pre auction estimate like that would make someone think it is a deal at 30k. Most guys that buy at auctions think more how it will look in their collection than the folks here.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

I have had the chance to see this car in person and can attest that it is stunning. If it sells for 60K what are our "correct" cars worth? Not only do I hope he gets a ton of money for the car, I hope it inspires more cars of equal quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

I put the white tires on that car in September because the others had turned yellow as they all do. The guy that owns it is a very detailed oriented person. Every thing he does is first class and I for one wouldn't kick that car out of my garage. I too hope they get a ton of money out of it as it makes all are cars worth more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

This car ended up selling for 26,400. Probably close to what it would cost to build parts and labor.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Just adding a couple of pictures of the discussed speedster, should the link go dead:

gggg

hhhh

It doesn't look like '26/'27 pedals - the pre '26 diamond style pedals are bent sideways and have accessory brass plates attached. The cast brass is painted black in the low areas, so they should probably work good in use - even with shoes :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration