Model T & Model A - Shared Parts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T & Model A - Shared Parts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Probably been discussed before but I've always wondered if any T parts got a second chance in the Model A? I know about the truck doors but was there anything else carried over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

They used the same tire air.

Sorry, except for the doors you mentioned, I don't believe so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I thought the A pickups used the same bed and hardware as the '26-'27 T pickups?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Interesting thread you've started here Tim,....I own a Model A as well as several Model T's, and I'm sure there are several (if not many) "crossover" parts, but at the moment, all I can think of is that 4:50 x 21" tires on late T's and '28 & '29 Model A's is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

I think many other T-guys also own one or more Model A's so I'm hoping they'll respond here and maybe I'll learn something! Thanks again for starting this one Tim,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

T pick-up beds had a different battery access arrangement I believe. Maybe different fender attachment too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Generator cutout maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

I think the rivets that held the data plate to the firewall were the same for the first few months.....

I would be surprised if it was more than a handful of parts. Despite Henry's penchant for not changing things for the sake of change (unlike G.M. honcho Sloan's "planned obsolescence"), the model "A" was designed from the get-go as a total improvement and modernization of its predecessor. Aside from its suspension lay out and the engine configuration, it was a pretty radical (for the time) departure from the "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

How about TT and AA rear axle housings? In photos they seem similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

The clevis pins are 5/16 dia.,same as model T. Cut out would be pos ground,so not the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

If you go thru the 1928 Model T parts book you will find a number of items that carry the "A" parts number. Mostly they are in the hard wear division of parts. (nuts bolts etc)
RE the doors; while they may fit the openings I think the belt line moldings are different between the T and A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Clevis pins, oil drain plug, differential drain plug, headlamp bulbs, rear axle nuts, pickup tailgate chains, pickup tailgate, pickup hinges, 1926-7 coupe, and tudor share many interchangeable parts with the 28-9 Model A pickup. There are many minor differences, so yes and no about being the same part. There many hardware items that interchange, Like gas tank to firewall on a Model A are the same bolts that hold the tail lamp and rear fenders on a 26-7 Model T. AR front bumpers are the same as 26-7. Model T hand crank pin is the same as a Model A Emergency brake pin. 21" tires and tubes are the same. 26-7 wire wheel lug nuts are the same as Early 1928.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

The original cut out on the T was a relay based device and does not recognize polarity. The same original cut out will operate on positive or negative ground systems.
I think the A continued the T cutout...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

The valve stem cores in the tubes are interchangeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

The A cutout has a threaded hole in the back to take the loom wire. The cover has a square hole to go over it. The T cutout has a flat terminal to which the wire is attached. Even if they work, they are physically different.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

The Improved Cars shared a lot of styling cues with the Model A.
The Improved Cars are as different from the Black Era cars as the
Black Era cars are from the Brass. Probably not a lot of parts, but
the whole aesthetic of the Improved Car has more to to with a Model
A than a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Yes, I think the most important feature of the "New Improved" '26 & '27 Model T was the cowl tank, however, the actual tanks were different of course.

One interesting part from the Model A that will actually work, and actually has been successfully used on a Model T is the front wheel bearings. It is really NOT recommended however, as the Model T bearing is threaded while the Model A bearing is not threaded. This means that the "A" bearing, while it will work on the "T", it the outer race could conceivably turn on the spindle, which is why it is not recommended, even tho' it works. FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

the 1926-7 Ammeter is interchangeable but not the same. The Model A Ammeter has a ribbed bezel, Where the T Bezel is smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Windshield wing nuts on the open cars are the same (or so I was led to believe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:57 am:

From my June 1932 Model A & AA/AAC Parts Catalogue. [Australian]
AA Tire Iron [TT4069] Ford Canada continued with the T & TT style for Model A/AA.
AA 1928 Worm Roller Bearing assembly & Sleeve [TT1046/48] plus other worm related items.
AA 1928 Rim Flange [ TT1106G]
Various hardware items[ pins;tacks;plugs; rivets;washers etc.]
Hand wiper for truck [T18257X]
Tools; tire irons [T2340]& pliers[T1903].
Early A tool bag was T one clasp style [Ford Canada]
Headlight & tail lamp bulbs were same as last T.
Ammeter lens [T5017 C]
Small generator shaft bearing[T5122]
Inlet hose clamps [T3007]
Front spring hanger bar [T3841]
Axle hub key & Diff. pinion [T2816&T2524C]

I am sure there were more of these small parts used into 1928 '29.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Confirms my suspicions. While the A was a complete departure from the T I kind of thought there would be parts carry over. How could there not be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Mark, the only thing that is the same on the pickup boxes is the tailgate and chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:36 am:

I use to have a 1901 Curved Dash Oldsmobile and there is one part from that car that will fit my daughters 2017 Prius. Yes you guessed it, the valve stem core in the tire/tube combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I also have wondered if Ford cleaned house when they tooled up for the Model A. Did all of the Model T tooling get scrapped or was it sold to another firm to continue making replacement parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Tim,
That tooling and excess inventory probably was shoveled into the Rouge foundry pots, so I guess, in the end, a lot of model "T" parts did end up being used to build model "A"s...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration