1915 front fender brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1915 front fender brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

These are a picture of the three rivet brackets on my Canadian 1915. There appears to be some controversy if they are three or four rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

The fender brackets went to three rivets in mid calendar year 1915. There were four previously. I don't believe there is any controversy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Royce, maybe not in the US, but in Canada there might be!
David, what month of '15?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

I am not absolutely sure what month, but it has the forked headlights and the horn wire tube, those are the only two things that may help date it. I have put on both horns, mag and bulb, I know that doesn't help but it looks cool. The fender brackets have three rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Fenders often are replaced over the life of the car The three rivet fenders were only used from maybe June of '15 until December of '15 in the USA. Then fenders started to get the two rivet bracket.

The four rivet billed 1915 fenders were much more common when new, having been introduced in late summer of 1914.

Forked headlamp brackets were used in Canada apparently until at least 1916 model year. Here is a photo from Australia in 1916 showing a Canadian built T being unpacked.

Period photos of Canadian 1915's are common, and all of them have forked headlamp brackets. Few show the fender in an angle where you can see the rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:30 am:

I have a friend with an early 15 and it has the gas lamps the style as in the military photo.
I did not know that the forked headlight mounts extended in to 1916 I understood they were only early 1915. I know that lots of parts were mixed and matched over the years. Export parts may be different again who knows??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Every bit of evidence that I have seen is that the cars exported to NZ or Aus are identical in every way to concurrent Canadian sold cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

I believe that to be true with the NZ and AUS exports. There were a considerable number of variables in the '15 -'16 models. The head light arrangements were somewhat variable, gas style, forked and pedestal. Early fenders with four rivets later with three, bulb horn, hand klaxon and electric (one book says the electric horn didn't appear until 1917?) Some had the horn wire tube and some didn't, some transmission inner parts were different, top saddles were different from US models, the kerosene side lamps had some early variables, the early styles were left and right with the door opening horizontal (E & J MODEL 30) with brass top and door trim. Some pictures show some 1916 models with no brass trim.
The Canadian kerosene lamps were made by The Canadian Lamp and Stamping Company (CLASCO). The early models had air holes at the base of the chimney and they were discontinued on later models because it was claimed the lamp was being blown out. There are probable several more variables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

CLASCO models

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

I don't see you presenting anything that could be considered controversial David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

I revisited my comment and controversial is not appropriate it should perhaps be questions and answers. There was an earlier poster who had a four rivet and a three rivet 1915 fender and was questioning what was correct. Your answer was the best. There have been additional questions as to the type of horn that was available? What production models had the forked or pedestal head lights? These are some of the questions that do come up from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

The horn question is similar to USA dates I think. The bulb horn was standard through mid year. By fall of 1915 I would expect all cars to have electric horns, same as USA. The question for 1916 production (August 1915 onwards) is whether there might be some cars produced with no horn at all. I don't know the answer to that one.

As for Canadian headlamps, there is ample evidence that the forked style continued into 1916 model year. I don't know when it was ended. Another question that may not ever be answered.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration