Model T Differential Gear Lock Rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Differential Gear Lock Rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:16 am:

I'm currently rebuilding the rear axle in my 26 Tourer. I noticed there is a lot of variation in the Model T Differential Gear Lock Rings I bought from the US. The thickness is anywhere from 2.70mm to 3.4mm. They also seems quite soft. I believe these are New Old Stock as they look old and have some minor rust putting on a few of them. They do look kind of home-made.

I'm not sure if this is normal or whether I should make some from reworked steel washers that are a better fit on the groove in the axle shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:36 am:

They all look normal to me. That one in the upper right looks a little weird maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:44 am:

All look similar to the ones I removed yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Just variation that happens with these little parts. Some of yours seem to have rust pits? And seem too rounded on the edges too.

Those lock rings fit loosely into the axle groove without binding, so try the best ones out first prior to setting the gear.

These in my stash of new are all around 3mm thick, that odd ball fat one probably won't fit the best, but these lock rings don't have any real thrust on them anyway. The gear is fitted tight press fit, and is keyed to the shaft with a woodruff key.

Without a press, have to take the axle to a machine shop, and always take the Ford instructions, to be sure the mechanic follows the method to press off the gear, and to make sure the woodruff key doesn't protrude too far out, as that edge of the key can impinge on the Hyatt roller bearing cage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration