Old Photo - So How Thehellya Think This Happened?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - So How Thehellya Think This Happened?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:20 am:

It is a Canadian model and maybe too many hard pulls on the hand brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Went over a railroad track, frame whacked the differential housing & bang.

Happened to a guy on our Michigan Jamboree of T's many years ago. (Actually, happened to his car, not him, thankfully) Though I'm not sure a RR track was the cause in his case. He actually drove the car to the tour with the cracked axle tube, unbeknownst to him. Obviously the axle shaft didn't break in his case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Maybe running it dry was a contributing factor -- there doesn't look to be a drop of oil under it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:34 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-MoJSYJx3s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:46 am:

I'm guessing the bearing ate into the rivets. Saw this inside a rear end once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Sabotage with a hammer and cold chisel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:06 am:

By golly Ed, I think you have something there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Awww that little leak don't mean nuttin, as long as it is leaking it's got oil in it. Guess it leaked a little too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Maybe the guy on the assembly line failed to install the rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Didn't someone ask late last year for an example of how to mount a non electric tail light with a rear spare tire carrier? Perhaps I am not recalling the thread correctly, but here is an example.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Yes, there was but that is a non Ford spare tire carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Somebody jacked it up under the pumpkin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

No idea how it happened, but I'd sure like to know how to prevent it !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Synthetic diff oil ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Rich,

Go slow over RR crossings or any other places that might bottom out your spring.

It's actually a very rare thing. I don't believe anyone has to be worried that this will happen to their car.

That being said, I'm certain it was caused by the use of a water pump, but Marvel Mystery oil could have prevented it. Now, for a tube of JB Weld to fix it and it'll be on its way. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

My best theory is that the inner bearing sleeve was installed wrong. The hole didn't align with the tang. I had an axle break at the outer bearing that I attributed to that. The tight bearing got the axle hot enough to crystallize and break. I can imagine the heat getting great enough to weaken both the housing and the axle at that point.

There is a lot of metal in the axle and the housing at that point and I don't see how any force could snap it there if the metallurgy wasn't compromised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

My best theory is that the guy in the back seat shouldn't have had seconds at lunch! Two double cheese burgers are jut too much for the rear axle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Dennis, that sounds like a wimpy theory to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I'm with Walt. Not a drop on the ground. Contributing factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

How on earth do you figure that lack of oil will crack a rear end housing tube?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

I tend to agree with the notion that the rivets failed, either by the bearing eating into them or a chisel and hammer or some other cause. I think the fact that there does not appear to be any damage to the clam shell or the axle tube supports this notion. If it had broken due to impact and/or overload it would seem we'd see damaged and broken parts, which we don't. It seems more like it came apart rather than broke, if you know what I mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Afternoon Delight?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

LOL!!!! Good one Bud!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:02 am:

The guys at The Texas T Party would have that back on the road overnight. Little JB Weld, a little this, a little that and good to roll in the morning. Seen them do it.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Stump pulling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:28 am:

Modified bitumin. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration