Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Couple of questions today: Did all Model Ts have babbitt thrust washers ? Next question has to do with opening the deck lid on a Model T runabout: Do most of you just use your fingers to open the lid? I don't have a key for the lid to use as leverage so I just use my finger nails. Is there a better way?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Since at least 1915, some earlier T's likely had bronze thrust washers. And aftermarket bronze thrusts were available in the 'teens.

Deck lid lifts easy with a key, without one, yep, finger tips or screwdriver tips. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 10:39 am:

John,

There apparently was a stretch where bronze thrust washers were used from the factory, though I don't know what years/months that occurred.

As to opening the deck lid, whatever works best I guess. You could buy a key if that would help you.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/9484A.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

The parts catalogs show babbitt thrust washers only. All years. The thing is there are ten other things that can fail and trash the whole works too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

My 26 Roadster deck lid will not open at all
without the key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Regarding the thrust washers, Part # 2528

I have an original 1916 parts book and it lists the thrust washer as bronze. The picture shows spiral grooves. But, what does the factory know.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

When I got my pretty original early 1916 touring earlier this year, I took the rear end apart and found bronze thrust washers. I found the same info Bill did, that there was a short time in 1915-16 when Ford was using bronze thrust washers. I've never seen them on any earlier model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:54 am:

The Encyclopedia says that bronze was used until 1915 and babbitt thereafter, but that is not correct. To add to what Kim said, here is the 1/1/13 parts book entry which lists it as being babbitt. Note that the later catalogs use the word "metal" instead of babbitt or bronze.
bronze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Small Allen wrench with some tape wrapped around the long end for a handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Of course these are all just opinions...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:56 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/585529.html?1447242043

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:02 am:

I wonder if Ford was offering a replacement bronze washer in the 1915 parts book. I have an earlier parts book that calls out a pair of Babbitt washers.

In any case, the washers are only one of the things in the rear axle that can kill you. John owns a 1912 that I took the rear end apart on 10 years ago, nearly every part inside it was junk except the original Babbitt washers which I threw in the trash in Cincinnati that day. John also owns the '14 cutoff touring that Ross Lilleker rebuilt the rear axle on a couple years ago.

The current issue is John's 24 runabout, which is a year when any and all Ford parts books call out only Babbitt washers. Again, the washers are only one thing that can just plain kill you inside the rear axle. The pinion bearing is the next most likely thing to be junk, and the roller bearings are also usually ruined. The driveshaft bushing and universal joint are typically trash, as are the axles and U - Joint.

I've had pretty fair luck finding usable differentials, only one out of the ten or so that I've rebuilt was unusable. I have not found many other usable parts in 90+ year old T rear axles. Only an occasional roller bearing and sleeve have been usable, safe parts from my experience. An axle shaft here and there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

My book says they were metal from late 08 to 27. Both my dog and
cat agree, concur, and say the same thing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration