Windshield glass channel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Windshield glass channel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Should the windshield glass channel on a 23 touring be brass, unpainted, or painted black with the rest of the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Mine was nickle plated as I recall.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Hi Tom,

Richard has it right; nickel plated from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

The one on my '23 is nickel plated brass. Just removed it from the steel frame if you want a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Yes, please post a picture from the side and of the cross section, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

On a business trip right now ... will do it by Monday. Or email me at mosterman@eastman.org and I'll send to you directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Picture this.

Not very photogenic but nickel over brass, the rust stains came from the windshield frame which is steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

It's very easy to nickel plate a new brass strip, or replate an original. I've used my Caswell Nickel Brush Plating kit to do them, doesn't take long and looks mahvoulous. The kit is around $35 I think, so it's worth buying to do just this one piece, but you'll find it useful for plating other small parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

I buffed the nickel of my 22's windshield when I replaced the plate glass for safety glass. It was spotty in places and looked really bad, so I buffed it all off and then polished up the brass.

Looks much better now, and breaks up all that unrelieved black of the car wonderfully...I also replaced the black windshield screws with brass ones. Probably hard to tell, but I like some brass on my car, not trying to look like a 15 or anything like that, just enough to accent the black is all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Some 30 years ago, did the vendors sell glass channel that was aluminum (stainless maybe?)? I have a set for '16-'22 open car so the box says.
Same color all the way thru the material. Very pretty, appropriately sized but very silver in color.
Martin, that's pretty!

(Message edited by Duey_C on January 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Just like the clincher demountable rims, you can just spray paint galvanize or alum. to replicate.

So spray paint that old brass windshield channel with your favorite can of alum. or chrome alum with a satin clear over, and it 'looks' like nickel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

But, for the pre nickel (brass) windshield channel, how are you going to shine/polish it without leaving residue? I went so far as to highly polish my original '14 brass glass channel out of the frame then have it clear coated powder coat. 400 degree temps didn't degrade it at all and it stays highly lustrous.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration