I don't know "jack"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I don't know "jack"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

In my callow youth, I never thought much about the wherefore of lifting my Model T, whenever I needed to (which was often, as I was running on 40 year old tires and had to patch a tube about every 15 miles) I'd just "jack it up". It survived.

Reading on these boards, I learn of all kinds of mayhem that can result from lifting a T in the wrong place . . . perhaps it's a good time for our seasoned Model T owners to outline what to do and not do when Lizzie needs lifting ? I know I'd much appreciate the tutoring.

What brought this to mind was the thread "How the hell did this happen?" - broken rear axle - one response was that the car had been jacked up by the "pumpkin". I sure don't want to see this happen !! (to anyone !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

I modified a gizmo I bought from Harbor Freight to jack up the entire rear end with pressure points on either side of the diff. Steve Jelf will probly post a pic of his that he made. Otherwise if I only need to jack up on side I just apply the floor jack to one side of the pumpkin and then set a jack stand near the outboard end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

With the brutal pounding the Model T's got from roads and obstacles it is hard for me to believe you could hurt one much from improper jacking. Since the wheels hold the car up it would make sense to jack it near to them. Something horrific happened to the car with the broken housing. To break both the axle and the housing seems very unusual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I lift my '24 roadster by the pumpkin with a rollaround floor jack all the time because I need to swing the back end around to get the car out of the garage. I don't see what the problem is, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Might depend on the year of the pumpkin. I can see that the early ones like mine were not designed for bearing weight in the center and if you have a truss it's on the wrong side for lifting support.

Yes I've jacked mine up there as well and at the MTFCI tour they used that same point when on the dyno test run but that doesn't mean there isn't a better place. Sort of like just because you get away with it doesn't make it legal.

I noticed today that mine has developed some leaks after the trip to the HME up the 605 and 210. We hit some Really bad rough spots at speed which shook our teeth so maybe that may have been the cause or just wear and tear..

YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Rich,

That was my post in the other thread and was kinda tongue in cheek. I didn't mean to alarm you. Yes, I've done it, and probably will again, but I can see some people's concern. You have to admit, if you want to get a floor jack under one side and still have room to slide a jack stand between it and the wheel, the floor jack is mighty near the pumpkin. Same applies on the front axle. I've jacked one up from the center before and as far as I know, I did no damage. However, I'd never pull one from the center of the front axle the axle has nowhere near the strength fore and aft as it does up and down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Rich,

I wouldn't jack an earlier car, (with riveted differential cases), in the center. However, all other styles, (like the one in the "How did this happen" photo), I do not worry about and have never had a problem with center jacking. It's a non-issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Thanks for the input, fellows. Pretty much what I figured, and I have to admit to being surprised by posts on the forum that seemed to indicate Model T is far more fragile than I ever reckoned. I'm most inclined to agree with Rich Eagle, while things may break or bend depending on the circumstances, in the main, the reason we're still driving 'em is because they are exceptionally flexible, and tougher than . . . well, just pick your superlative, a T is tougher !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration