Where can I find a 1926/27 RADIATOR SHELL ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Where can I find a 1926/27 RADIATOR SHELL ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Where can I buy a Plated or Painted 1927 Ford Radiator shroud / shell ? I would like to buy a good shell but can only find the earlier radiator shells.

The 1926/27 seem to be hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Who is the man who used to produce quality 1926 1927 Ford Radiator Shells? Can someone tell him to produce more ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

He has to want to make more of them not be told to do so! :-) I have a brass one that needs some work $100 plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I have five of them in my shop,all of which need work/plating.There in lies the problem. Plating alone runs $400-500 each around here, I would sell any or all for offer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Mark and Jack, can you detail the work needed on the shells you have. I can do the work repairing brass ones, depending on how much work is needed. I cannot find a nice one for my roadster. I have one, but it is a steel one, complete with rust pits. It looks the part at 20', but not up to snuff close up.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

They come up for sale on US Ebay from time to time. I have had four or five of them at one time, myself. If I see a nice one on Ebay that is less than the current price of plating; I buy it just on speculation and hang it on my garage wall until someone needs it. Contact Larry Gresh in Ohio. He is heavy into 26-27 parts and I have bought one from him. He has several ads in the Classifies at this time for other parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

I have bought 2 off eBay with no luck for the condition I was looking for. I found a supposedly NOS one Cleveland Ga and paid less for it than the others off eBay. When I sold them I took accurate pics and showed the defects to the buyers on ebay. Can you buy new ones now? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

I bought a new one a few years ago that didn't fit the radiator neck right but was able to rework it to fit and you can not tell where it was worked on. Now it needs plated but at least we have it for the 26 touring. If you find one of those and don't want to move the neck on your radiator let me know and maybe I can fix it for you.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Bob

Correct on those new one made in the 90's.

The radiator neck hole is too close to the front edge. And these had punched holes, steel. The lower edge different, and no radiator apron corner. But the Ford script was spot on!

New repro on bottom, in raw steel.

Note the ends compared to original on the left.

Script real nice! Was at Luray Swap meet, don't know if it sold there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Tim, You must not be looking at the pictures of the shells listed on Ebay, close enough. I've never had a problem picking nice ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:45 am:

I do not have any 26/27 cars. How do the shells differ from 24/25? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barrancotta on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Wow, is my plater taking advantage of me? I'm paying $1200 to have a low steel shell bright nickel plated. To have the "Made in USA" deeply engraved and visible after plating is another $175. I know his work is show quality, but double? Maybe there's more prep work in steel as opposed to brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Dan

Little differences, as all hi-hood shells will interchange, the p/n 3947B radiator shell, '23-26 (hi-hood) version, and the p/n 3947C, the nickel plated shell for '26-'27.

Main difference in the nickel plated shell, its made of brass (to plate best) and normally has round holes for the anti-squeak webbing, as opposed to rectangular open slots on the all steel painted hi-hood shell 3947B.

Nickel shell

But the apron for the nickel shell is different. Has slots cut for attaching the p/n 3977D finish nickel strip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

A high shell is a high shell, period. 1924-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

I have a super clean 26-27 shell. It's missing both of the bottom tabs. The can be bought at Langs still I think. Pm me and tell me what you've got to trade. Mines steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Tony B., I just got a super straight steel shell plated. It cost $700.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Terry your right one of them was my fault but the seller told a story about the second one condition. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Call Lang's. I just bought one and it was in perfect condition. Tell them how much you want to pay and they will send you one based on condition. They told me $40 to $100 depending on condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration