Top bow interchange

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top bow interchange
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Anyone know , if any top bows interchange between tourings and runabouts/roadsters? Any pieces interchange between one-man and two-man tops. I suppose it won't matter if I can just match up bows by comparing unknown, available used ones with known correct ones for my '21 touring , two-man top. The only one that I have is the drivers side rear. I can compare it and match up a passengers side rear, knowing it should be a "mirror image of what I have. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 04:22 am:

The touring top bows are on average 4 inches wider that the roadster bows. I used 1922 touring top bows for my 1922 roadster and had to cut out four inches in order to fit the ready made top kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Paul, is the difference you're talking about in the wood , center parts? What about the metal side parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:57 am:

I believe the bows are the wood parts, and the metal parts that hold them up are the sockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

I'm sure you're right Steve. The sockets are what I need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Tommy what are you looking for in top sockets? Are you looking for a complete set of 1921 top sockets? I believe I have an extra set for a touring. You would have to make the bows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

I have three sets right now . Two sets are done and the third is as found. Contact me off line if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Yes Tommy, I am referring to the center parts. Sockets are the same for 1917 to 1922 roadster and touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

My dad has a '17 touring and I have a '17 roadster. They are oval sockets but the same rules would apply to the 1918-22 square sockets.

The touring and roadster sockets aren't the same so they cannot be mixed and matched.

For example, the first socket of the touring is longer than the first socket of the roadster. Subsequently, the bracket for the second socket is set further back on the armrest on the touring compared to the roadster.

The second socket on a touring is a single socket and has two eyelets - upper and lower - for the first socket The second socket on a roadster also has the upper and lower eyelets but it is riveted to the third socket by the top armrest bracket.

See this thread for dimensions:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/310440.html?1347301416

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration