Old Photo - Common Sense Deficiency

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Common Sense Deficiency
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Yup, When your car gets stuck in a quagmire dig a waist deep hole under a back wheel....DUH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:03 am:

A potential Darwin award winner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:05 am:

He's probably digging a hole to attach a rope to the rear axle so a team of horses can pull it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Maxwell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Quicksand! He got out and is sinking!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Think about the poor fellow under him whos shoulders he is standing on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

I was expecting to see a relative.

The guy in the family tree is close enough ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Larry, good eye. Yes it is a Maxwell but the negative has been flipped. I doubt it is a right hand drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

I guess teenagers were the same back then. My son and some friends thought it would be cool to drive their 4x4's around in the Ohoopee River. In the summer, it's often no more than a foot deep.....in most places. He sunk his Bronco up to the tail lights in a deep spot.....and BRAGGED about how many other trucks it took to pull him out! There was water in everything but the engine oil. Fuel tank, transmission, transfer case, both differentials. The only help I gave him on that one was ADVICE! Told him what he needed to do and let him pay for it and do the work. Despite being drained and refilled a couple of times, the transmission only lasted another 6 months. That was another $1000 it cost him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Drowning your vehicle in a hoo-pee river is just a bad idea.

Note the location of the river in this shot. If he doesn't get it
dug out, he'll get all the mud washed off !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Rich, is that Maxwell yours ? Nice !!
Did Maxwell export to the British Empire ? A tag on back shows a "4" reading right, image may not be flopped.

I think the feller digging actually plans to bury the whole car - there's a body under the hood in the back seat ! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Rich, yes that is my Maxwell. It sits patiently and watches the Fords go by.

On closer look that could be a right hand drive. The instrument panel seems to be shifted to the left and the Speedometer to the right of that.

You always have had a good eye for detail. I assumed the odds were better for a flipped negative than a European Maxwell. The gas cap is far left and also would have been relocated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

THE GUY IS DIGGING A DRAIN....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Time to change the oil and a pit will make it alot easier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:55 am:

I seem to remember that photo when hunting for Australian car pictures.
Not sure if I could find it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:45 am:

That photo is listed in Australia Library archives as being one of our pioneers Francis Birtles famous for his many trips across the outback of Australia in a Ford in the teens.

He was well known for his feats of endurance especially as he suffered from malaria. His history in the Model T Ford world is legionary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Thanks Dane and Peter. That helps to make more sense of this.
And thanks to Jay for starting us on another journey.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Rich, hope you don't mind me showing everyone just how unique the Maxwell you are restoring is. Have you ever found out the maker of the conversion?
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:46 am:

No problem Dennis. Sadly I haven't worked on it much since that photo was taken. The maker remains a mystery. I have seen a lot of conversions that look very similar but none that I can confirm are the same. It was fun to see the picture of your Maxwell the other day.
Thanks
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration