Old Photo - Model T Era - Front Street Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Front Street Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Galena, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Chris...you're good. How in the heck did you know it was there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Chris and Jay are "in on it" together Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Tim:

If you Google "Front Street Garage" you'll find many images of it - period and current.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22front+street+garage%22&client=safari&rls=en&s ource=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGtNzOma7RAhULwYMKHV_lCoQQ_AUICigD&biw=1278& bih=686#imgrc=_

There's plenty of information if you just click on one of the photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Erik's got it. Just do Google searches on any clue from the picture. This one came right up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

How does Google know its front street garage, theres no sign???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Google doesn't know it is the front street garage.

It's the person who uploaded the image to the internet and includes "front street garage" in the description who knows that it is the front street garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Thanks guys, shoulda known good ol' Google!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Actually, I am the owner of this building. Bought it back in 2014 and am currently doing renovations to bring it back to the way it looked like in the B&W photo from May 1947.

Colorized Photo of the Front Street Garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Kudos to you, sir! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

A few more shots from the late 40's / early 50's (I cannot pin point a date on these as they were separate from the above B&W of the garage.)

August Bradshaw (owner from 1932 to about 1958) inside the shop area of the garage.

August in the tire repair part of the building.

Can follow the progress of the garage on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/frontstreetgarage/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

That is sooooo cool Ed.

If I didn't think my wife would divorce me over it, I'd buy something just like that, restore it, put my old cars in the back and live in part of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Jay, always love your pictures. I live about three miles from that Galena, Kansas building. Allen S.W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Wow, Ed, you even got the tangles in the air hose to exactly match the old picture! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Don, I have a friend who lives in Ma. who did just that. He bought an old Studebaker garage in Ayer and turned it into his home and garage :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Chris - thanks but I can only take credit for matching the correct colors to the items while Giesla over at https://www.facebook.com/exploreandpreserve/ did all the painstaking work. She (like me) is a HUGE advocate of everything Route 66 and this is the cherry on the cake with the restoration of the building to bring it back to the way it looked in 1947 AND for all travelers on the route and around the world to enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Ed, We'll be in the Scottsdale area soon. Could you please post the address so we can check out your building?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

For those of us on dial up who will now (due to their changed format requiring "active" advertising) no longer be able to even occasionally reach Facebook, how about posting some progress photos here?
Thanks!
David Dewey, stuck in the boonies with almost no internet connection, NO cell coverage, and almost no TV signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Keith - the building is in Galena KS (across the border from Joplin MO) on Route 66.

David - I can post updates, but there are a LOT of updates!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Hey David Dewey, A few more lines and you got the makings of a country song!!! :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Ed, thumbs up to you and the project. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Ed, Thanks for the info.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Jay, You're right! I hadn't thought about that! :-)
Ed, how about just a "today" shot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:40 am:

I got this one off of the Facebook page, it is dated February 10th. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Mark, just posted that the other day on the Front Street Garage FB page. A friend of mine was up there that day and sent it to me. I had banners made and hung as the 'official' FSG sign (which will go on the building) is down here in PHX waiting for it to be 'framed' in a aluminum frame to be shipped back up there to be installed.
A LOT of the metal which is covering the store front exterior 'hides' little treasures which I will finally start exposing this summer. Needed to shore up the building as it is 121 years old and want to make sure it will be around for at least another 50 more.
A LOT OF WORK still has to be done and that tin facade is original from 1896 and it will take me several years to repair some of it and then do a lot of detective work to see what all the original colors where as in the 1890's, they like the ornamental style to be showed off in different colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Ed, this sounds like a neat project How about posting one or two of the Inside work you've done to keep the building standing?
Back when I worked for the city, there was pressure to restore the store fronts of the State Theatre building--and grants available. I had to do a lot of talking to get the "knowledgeable" people in the city to see that much of the original stuff was still there, just covered over. The store fronts had been "modernized" in the 60s to a diagonal front with a door at one end, but underneath in the basement you could see where the floor showed the original sloped entrance to the centered doors, and with the photographs available, they were able to do a pretty fair job of making it look right (had to do some compromising to meet modern ADA requirements (from which the building, being on the National Register, was probably exempt). Above the window was the existing clerestory windows, glass even intact, and most of the decorative turned posts intact--including the original paint!
Here's a pic of how it looked before restoration, this pic was taken from the Cinema Treasures website,

The attic view of original features

reconstructing the storefronts

The finished look--BTW, that Barber shop has been there since the theatre opened in 1928

Compare it to a picture taken in the 1930s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Oh, and yes, they screwed up on the lamps; although I was still with the city at the time, and the building's curator (according to my previous boss) no one asked me, nor apparently looked at any old photographs. Since that last picture was taken, they've added permanent canopys over the windows, look nice but way too 1990s, IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

David, that is great! I just love when folks bring old cars back to stock, and old buildings to what they looked like in their prime.... and these old buildings are so usable and worthwhile....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Great garage pic but I need one of those cool gas pumps. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Galena, Kansas, was the real-life inspiration for the town of "Radiator Springs" in the Disney movie CARS. When they were in the planning stages for the movie, they sent a group of artists to Galena to get ideas for the town on old Route 66.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

CARS is my 3 year old grandson's favorite movie. Thanks for the information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Klein on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

So the tie in with CARS:

He was actually talking about my garage.

My 'across the road neighbor'

Me sitting on the beams after getting all the structural supports in on one part of the storefront.

The other side with a temp framed opening for a window.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration