Road Flares

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Road Flares
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Road Flares
Here are pictures of my road flares. They are stamped "King Bee" Leakproof and patent applied for. I suppose they aren't real common as people often ask about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

John,
Per my inquiry yesterday, thanks for the great closeup photos. Best $5.00 you've spent in a while!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Yeah--win one once in a while. They were covered in surface rust and the guy thought it was a tractor muffler. I feel just a little guilty but the hours I spent with Gibbs Lube and a scouring pad offsets that to some degree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I have an old metal box wit 3 round pot type flares. The box has a
good stylized King Bee paint job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Same folks I suppose. Got a picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

I don't remember ever seeing that kind before, the ones I used to see when I was a kid looked more like a cannon ball with a wick and cap on the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Martin those black round ones were the only ones I was familiar with before I got that old truck I posted on Cale Miller's thread. They were used by road crews to indicate hazards. I think these were just a generic automotive accessory in the teens and twenties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

John,

We are playing the sub-zero temps game here, so rooting about
looking for that box doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll be forced
out into the shop over the weekend. I think I know where I put it (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Chilly even way down here near the gulf. Mid twenties by morning so my old truck with no doors will be darn cold for an old Cajun who thinks any thing under 75 is nice and cool. Going to breakfast anyway!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

This is the kind Martin is talking about. As John says, they were used around hazards and road construction sites before flashing yellow electric lights came along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:02 am:

My dad used to use them to heat the motor on something in the winter. I used 2 of them to heat the motor on my H model International tractor in Montana at 20 below zero. It worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Martin's comment... "cannon ball with a wick" rang quite familiar for me. When I was a small child, when riding in the car with Mom and Dad, any time I saw those things, I could in NO way be convinced that they weren't going to explode any second. Always pleaded for us to hurry up and get past them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Here's one we have on display.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Gee Thanks Jay, Now you have traumatized me all over again! Their not near as scary when not lit. Something about all that dark sooty ominous looking flame... Love the cartoon! I think that character was the one responsible for my childhood fears! If I recall, that was one of Heckle and Jeckle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Spy vs spy, Mad Magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Steve J. forgot to mention that before the advent of the battery powered amber flashing light there were Kerosene lanterns with red lens used to mark hazards and construction zones.
Some of the larger cities even had lanterns make with their name embossed into the fuel tank. I recall seeing a Dietz lantern with Los Angeles and either P. W. (public works) or DWP (Dept of Water and Power) embossed into the fuel tank.

Evan in Paso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:42 am:

I remember the black bomb looking ones from when I was a kid. I don't remember being scared of them, but I do remember asking why they were sitting out on the side of the road in a construction zone. This would have been in the mid to late 60's. I also have a vague memory of seeing my first police car with a blue light rather than red. Would have been about the same time period.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration