OT: Wood Coaster Wagon Help Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Wood Coaster Wagon Help Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Well, trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge that is the Model T Forum. Just bought this coaster wagon. It needs tires and couple of hub caps. The caps look like tiny Model T caps but say "Auto" on them. Anybody got a resource for tires? They're the style that are attached by a steel wire wound up tight inside the rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Jerry, I have no idea where to find the tyre material. However, fitting it is accomplished by wrapping around the rims and having approx 1/2 - 3/4" overlap. Then the rubber is pared back so it is the exact length required. This will expose some of the coiled wire at each end. Then you need to firmly grip one end and twist the remainder as much as possible against the curl of the wire. With the maximum twist held, the two ends are brought together and the twist is allowed to unwind, thus screwing the coiled wires together. The tyre can then be rolled onto the wheel.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Must have been a wild down-hill ride... broke the brake handle. Hope they got stopped in time! Early lesson for a future T driver. I think there are repro tires made for old pedal cars, tractors etc. Nice wagon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

A bicycle repair shop did antique solid rubber tricycle tires for my nephew, so perhaps a local bicycle repair shop in your area would have some information to help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

I'm not sure is pedal car tire rubber will work, but if you scroll down a bit after opening the following link, you will see various sizes of bulk tire rubber.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Pedal-Cars-Pedal-Car-Tires/12.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Nice find Jerry!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Just did a Google and found many related sites. You should be able to find what you need. One site for a guy with a large collection. I'm thinking he can steer you in the right direction unless he might have parts?

http://wagonmastercoaster.com/

Gordon Westover
2908 Pace Ct.
Sacramento, CA 95826
info@wagonmastercoaster.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

David,

I saw that site already but passed it by. Didn't realize this guy literally "wrote the book" on these! I'll get in contact with him. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Looks like you could make the hubcaps on the lathe and silverbraze a piece of hex stock on the end. I suppose you could even get "auto" engraved on the hex.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration