Old Photo - Big Blue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Big Blue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Baker, California. Death Valley, along old Route 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Dang, " Modern Cabins, Community Kitchen". I bet that was fun. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

I love these pics of old service stations, thanks all for posting them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

That must be "Ol Dad Fairbanks"........
Good share Burger......!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

That is "Ol Dad Fairbanks"! My great-grandfather, EB Failing, started Baker in the early 20's.
At that time, it wasn't Route 15 yet. It was still Hwy 91, and it was a mixture of dirt and gravel. Baker is halfway between San Bernadino, CA and Las Vegas, at the lowest point (they always said it was uphill both ways leaving town). It's where the railroad cars from the Tonapah to Tidelands RR gathered when unhooked, so where the workers lived.
My great-grandfather Failing broke down there in 1919-20 (Model T pick up) coming from Michigan. Had to catch the bus coming by to San Bernadino to get parts to fix his truck, and then catch the bus back. Continued on to Pasadena, CA where his brother was a butcher. Loaded up the PU with meat, drove back to Baker siding where all the RR workers were, and sold out!
Came back in 1920 and built a restaurant, motel, and gas station. Figured anyone breaking down on 91 had to be towed to Baker. . .to get their car fixed, eat, and spend the night.
Dad Fairbanks and his family moved in later from Tonopah and did pretty much the same thing.My uncle later built the 134 ft thermometer to commemorate the world's highest temp of 134 degrees in Death Valley.
Grandpa's house and Failing's Bun Boy restaurant was (is) at the intersection of Hwy 27 (gateway to Death Valley) and Hwy 91 (I-15 later slightly by-passed the town by a block or so).
Have a picture somewhere of Wyatt Earp and his family's '26 T roadster in Baker with grandpa. Wyatt used it when prospecting the Mojave desert.
For now, here's grandpa's service station.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration