Old Photo - Another Baker California Shot

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Another Baker California Shot
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

A little post-Model T era, but probably still saw T's coming through from time-to-time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Early '50s?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

My Grandfather was a truck mechanic who often had to go to Baker to rescue a broken down truck. There is a big thermometer alongside the highway in Baker that can often read well over 100 degrees in the summer. He used to say that Baker was only a screen-door away from Hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Jeff and Burger,
See my addition to Burger's other post about the Big Blue in Baker.
My great-grandfather started Baker in the early 20's. My uncle built the 134 ft thermometer next to Failing's Bun Boy restaurant to commemorate the world's highest "recorded" temp of 134 degrees in Death Valley (just down the road from Baker on Hwy 127). Charles Brown came to town much later after my great-grandfather EB Failing and Dad Fairbanks had built up the town. If I remember correctly (and that's a stretch!), Charles Brown married one of Dad Fairbanks daughters and got elected to the state senate (and was responsible for getting I-15 built next to Baker with on/off ramps! Got to love those politicians.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

I remember an August evening in Baker with the big thermometer reading 113 at 8 PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

and more recent http://www.placesthatwere.com/2016/02/gateway-to-death-valley-broken-dreams.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

I remember three summers in Helmand Province where it was
over 130 before 0900 every day between June and October.
But nights cooled off to a balmy 115 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Yeah that thermometer is still there on top of the Bun Boy restaurant, seen it many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Very cool pic the station and cars are timeless. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Alien Beef Jerky

My how things have " progressed"

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

The first time I was through Baker was in 1949. My mother and sister had flown to Salt Lake City and I had been in summer camp Fox at Catalina Island. When I got back from camp my dad and I left to go to Salt Lake. We got to Baker about midnight and it was 100 degrees in September. We went on and dad got tired so we pulled over and parked and slept. The car was a 1948 Nash which could be converted into a bed! We woke up about 5:30 AM and the desert water bag was frozen! The place we stopped was around Mountain Pass which is around 4,000' elevation. What a difference in temperature!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Back when I was an OTR truck driver, the thing I remember most about traveling between San Bernardino and Las Vegas on I-15 was at the rest stops there would be caution signs to warn you not to go beyond that point because of rattle snakes. I also like the signs that told you to turn off your ac, which I often did even turning on my heater, just so the engine would not over heat. Burger, I also remember how those long multi-engine trains would serpentine there way up those long grades.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration