Old Photo - California Desert Junkyard

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - California Desert Junkyard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

No background info with this one, sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Ya know, it might not be a junkyard. It could be a parking lot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Looks like field of dreams!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Junkyard??? You disparaging my cousins' Used Car lot? (Dewey, Cheatum & Howe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Robb, Cheatham & Steele Used Up Cars

Fastest way to get back on your feet is to miss a payment on one of our cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:19 am:

I believe that the photo was taken near Santa Paula, California after the St. Francis Dam disaster in March of 1928. On March 12, 1928 at about 2:00 a.m. the St Francis Dam, about 10 miles north of Saugus, CA and 40 miles north of Los Angeles collapsed. It was part of the aquaduct and water storage system that brought northern CA water to the Los Angeles area. The resulting flood washed through Santa Clarita, Saugus, and through Piru, Fillmore, and Santa Paula in the Santa Clara River Valley to the Pacific Ocean near Oxnard. More than 425 people were killed. Most likely quite a few more as there were a number of farm labor camps along the river. Loss of life was so high given the time of night the dam gave way and the difficulty of notifying so many people. The hills in the background look very familiar. I've driven my T through that area dozens of times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Good connection, Bryan. Beach sand, not desert sand ? It does
look like the first range coastal hills and those cars have a battered,
but not worn out look to them. I found that photo in with some stuff
about Baker, way over toward Death Valley. I am thinking now it is
unrelated to that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:22 am:

Wow, I didn't mean any disrespect when I posted my comment,now knowing the background on that picture.
So apologies to anyone that thought I was being thoughtless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:19 am:

There are a lot of images on the inter webs showing the cars in various positions before they were dragged into the field right side up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:54 am:

I wonder how many were repaired and possibly in garages across the country today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Dewey,

Don't waste your time being concerned about the type that goes
around looking for excuses to feel offended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Very interesting thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Wow wish we had junk yards these days like that!! A day there and we would all be set. Our junk yards are all new cars in my area. Most cars are late nineties or two thousands. When I was young there were some good ones in my area but all gone now. So swap meets and eBay is as good as it gets now.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Tim,
Same thing here, there were 4 good yards around Southern Siskiyou county when I was a kid, with lots of older stuff still there; I got a model A engine out of one back in the late 70s. None of them are left now.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Burger,
You're probably right, but I felt bad making fun of a photo of such a tragedy.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:40 am:

While it has yet to be confirmed, it appears this pic might very well
be from the St. Francis Dam failure. But reading back up the thread,
that theory was not brought forth until after you made the comment.
Anyone looking to turn that into a purposely offensive comment, made
with the intent of making fun of a lives-lost historical event is just a
troublemaker looking to stir the pot. Unless, of course, you secretly
knew this intel and were purposely witholding from the platoon.

At ease, Corporal Dewey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

That event ended the career of William Mullholland, the head of the Metropolitan Water District. He, and his Chief Engineer, Harvey Van Norman, ignored warnings of unusual cracks near the base of the dam.

After the dust had settled, bodies believed to be victims of the dam break were found washed on shore as far as Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Corporal Dewey, what part of the service were you in? USMC here 2000-2005 Operation Enduring Freedom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:56 am:

I am asking Burger not David Dewey sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I was a contractor. At 49, I was too old to enlist. Assigned to USMC at Camp
Dwyer, Helmand, AFG 2010-2013, Served with 1/3, 3/3, and 3/1. Construction
brigade known as RCT. Worked from Castle to Bela Morghab, east as far as
Camp Apache, with a few weird call outs to places like Jalalabad. Built a lot
of FOBs. Greatest experience if my life. How about you ? Where did they send
you ? What was your MOS ? Semper Fi, SIR !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Hey Burger my mos was 6074 Cryogenics Equipment Operator. I was stationed with a CH53 helicopter unit out of New River Air Staion Jacksonville NC. They sent me to Djibouti Africa to Camp Lemonier. Also spent some time floating on the USS Wasp near Yemen. Stopped in to Qatar for R and R. Met some good people I miss it. Thanks for what you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Note the bullet mid-1930s style headlights on the car in the middle of the image.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

James,
I fell in-between actions, so was classified 1-H (Likely to never be classified--but isn't that a classification??), and my doctors wanted me to be 4-F; with no depth perception and horrid allergies (at the time, I seem to have outgrown them now) they didn't want me armed or in tropical climates!
My older brother served in VN, and is now having health complications from agent orange.
Stuff happens & I really respect those of you who have served. My Dad was in the Battle of St. Lowe and served in France for the duration of the war (WWII)--and came home (or I wouldn't be here).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Baker,

Did you work BATTS Team with that cryo stuff ? My first assignment was security -
intake, billeting, certs, and downranging - and the powers that be thought I needed
BATTS training and sent me through the course. I got the RCT transfer before anything
ever came of it though.

I miss it a LOT. The Duty and Honor thing, the discipline. The USMC is a cut about
and I was a lucky SOB to get in the door the way I did. Semper Fi, do or die !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

The bullet headlight car is a Chrysler.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration