Late 12-15 horns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Late 12-15 horns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Larry, this is an interesting topic that you posted from 2016 forum. I found that the Rubes horns on my 13 and 14 need to be swapped. Why do you suppose that there were different brackets? What difference would it have made back in the day? I hope my posting will move this discussion to 2017 Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Warren: I'm glad you moved this discussion. From all the research I've done so far, it proves they did change the shape of the horn bracket every year, but why? Randall Anderson has the original Ford print, and it clearly shows only the 1915 style, and says for repairs for earlier years too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

On this same topic, what about the mounting hardware? I saw a picture of an original 1914 on here before that had studs screwed into the firewall with nuts to secure the horn. I couldn't find any studs that size, but hardware stores leave a lot to be desired. I used carriage bolts and it looks the same on the outside but the bolt heads are visible inside. My firewall needs replaced anyhow at some point. Before this forum I guessed at where some holes go, like for the carb mixture rod. Plus I have the wrong one but that's another topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Aren't #9 round head screws correct for mounting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

#9 X 7/8" to be exact. I've never been able to figure out how those workers got them in! It's a real bitch, but then we aren't getting paid to do it either! So, do we have agreement here that the late '12s and '13s are round, the '14s are oval, and the '15s are scalloped? That was the purpose of my original post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Installing the horn was probably done at the dealership rather than on the assembly line. The shop people probably did say some bad words like the restorers do today. Brackets probably are correct as you stated but I still wonder why they were changed at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Larry... Every original 15 I've seen had a scalloped bracket. It had to be otherwise it wouldn't fit in the close quarters next to the column bracket. So I am in agreement on the 15 at least!

Warren.. The horns were installed at the factory. The top photo in Bruce's book (page 178) shows the the horns installed as they rolled along the assembly line in 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Great discussion. Caution -- I suspect there would have been some overlap when more than one style of horn bracket was used. Was that a day of overlap, a week, a month? I don't know.

Also Ford was not that concerned about our restorations in 2017. He often made running changes. From memory (not as good as from a source) the top half of the windshield that folded forward was typical of the 1913 bodies with the doors that went all the way to the bottom of the body. It was replaced with the windshield where the top half folded to the rear which is typical for the 1914 windshield. I don't remember which body style (1913 or 1914) but during the change over one of them got the other year typical windshield for a short time frame.

And of course the 1915 Model year had both flat dash 1914 style bodies and metal cowl 1915 style bodies that overlapped. Did they put one style horn on the 1914 style flat dash and a different style horn on the 1915 metal cowl bodied car's dash? I don't know. But if the distance between the mounting holes were the same -- I'm sure the 1915 style could have been used on the 1914 flat dash.

Warren -- There are several photos that show the chassis and/or cars coming off the line that show the horn was installed at the factory (main factory or branch plant).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Interesting assembly line photo...is the first horn attached using studs and nuts? I wish it was clearer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

The horns were installed at the factory prior to the firewall being installed on the car. This is well documented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Evidence enough on that point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:50 am:

What I find even more interesting, is the steering column mounting nuts and washers are brass plated. I've often wondered about that. Notice too, the radiators coming down the chute have the headlight hoses attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

The horns are screwed to the firewalls with #9 round head screws.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration