Big Changes at the Old Car Festival

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Big Changes at the Old Car Festival
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I am getting this info on VERY good source. Since a change in management of who is running the Special Events, those now in charge are making changes to both OCF and Motor Muster.

The registration fee for both events is now $50.00 PER CAR!!! I know of no other show of this kind that charges that much. There will be a cut back on the number of wrist bands (essentially, passes into the Village and Museum)per participant.

I hope this is no indication of what will happen to motor vehicles, but the number of bikes allowed into the event has now been cut down to a MAXIMUM of 40!!!

In my opinion, within reason, the more vehicles (including bikes) the better the show at this venue. After all, it is called a "Festival"!!!

Because the show has gotten so big and popular, parking remains an issue. I am told that the powers that be "don't care about the participants". The powers want enough parking for the visitors.

I think what management is forgetting is that without participants, there is no show and, therefore, no visitors.

Now, granted, it is The Henry Fords' backyard and they can do what ever they want. But, there was a time when management tampered with the event and OCF was lucky to get 200-250 cars.

The former events management worked hard to bring those numbers back up and, obviously, did a great job. I hope the new management doesn't ruin a great thing, although it looks like it is headed this way.

If and when I know more, I'll pass it on if Forum members want the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Last year was the 1st time I was there. I was driving a friends car. This year I am hoping to have my own car there. The OCF is better than any event I have ever been to. The fact that the cars are driven around and not just parked to look at is the greatest. The smells and sounds of the event and all the great people that work so hard to preserve and operate these great machines make the event. Most of the spectators we met liked what they seen but really had no clue what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I tried finding information on the Henry Ford website, and found nothing. There's an events calendar, but changing it to other months did nothing. Maybe somebody who's better with net searching can find links to the OCF and Motor Muster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Steve, my guess is they're in no hurry to update the website for the OCF and M.M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I have shown a car there a couple of times. It was back in 1996 and 1998 when a good friend worked there. Unfortunately, Michigan is a long way from California to bring a car on a regular basis.

That being said, I don't understand how they feel they can charge 50.00 to show a car. Don't they charge something like 20.00 for the public to enter the grounds to see the show? Since they are making money off of the spectators, I don't think it is fair that they charge the car owners. If they don't have the cars, they will also not get the public. Not that 50.00 bothers me, but why should I pay them 50.00 to show MY car so they can charge spectators 20.00 each to see MY car.

I also realize that this will be an apples to orange comparison, but I have shown cars at Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, Meadowbrook etc and none of them charge the car owners!!

The Holiday Motor Excursion, which some of us attended last Saturday only charges 5.00 and you really get to experience some world class pre-1932 cars and get to drive them on the streets as opposed to Henry Ford's theme park.Granted it is a lot closer to me, but the Holiday Motor Excursion is way more fun than OCF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Who said car shows are "fair" ? That's about as silly as the assumption
that no parent should outlive their children. Life ain't fair and if youze the
one in charge, youze gets to make da rules. In this case, da money rules !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

The only way to get them to change is by EVERYONE refusing to go with their car at the $50.00 fee. One or two holding out won't mean a thing it has to be a group effort. The higher price will keep some from attending and reducing the number of cars and I think that is their intention. Fewer cars but the same revenue by charging more to those who attend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

One of the reasons I don't enter the local car show is that the idea of paying people to look at my car rubs me the wrong way. I can show it to them for free whenever I drive it. I would like to see the OCF sometime, so maybe I'll go as a spectator and leave my car in the parking lot like I do when I go to the market or the hardware store. Like Ron, fifty bucks wouldn't break me but it sure puts me off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Nope, If I have to pay to show my car I don't go. As mentioned, I can have more fun at a gas station than at a show with 200 cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

$50.00 for a car show?? First off the OCF is much much more than a car show!!Dennis,Have you ever attended the OCF?? I remember the crying when the OCF started charging and a few stayed home but others quickly took their places! Marty i think is spot on about the powers that be caring more about the visitors than those who put forth so much to make the OCF!!!!!!!!!! It used to be security was very profesional and very helpful but last year,not so much!! Someone needs to adress the particieant parking long before the events!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

The only time I pay to show my cars is if the proceeds are going 100% to some worthy cause. That way I feel like I am making a charitable contribution that goes beyond what I pay because it draws spectators who pay admission that also goes to the same cause. Those shows are run by local car groups that make no money by running the events as everyone is a volunteer unlike other shows that make it seem like they are for a charitable purpose but most of the money goes to pay "expenses" which translates to salaries for the guys running the show! I have no idea how the money collected by the OCF gets used but to me that is the real issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Our local town had a Old Time Picnic Parade for over thirty years. For most of those years I was involved in some way. They wanted to charge something like $50.00 to be in the parade! I felt like I was not getting anything out of the parade. There were a lot of Scout troops, politicians and businesses participating in the parade for years but I quit if I had to pay that much to drive my Model T down the street! I just waited to drive there after the parade.
Toward the end the demographics of City Hall changed and the focus changed from the 'Old Town" part of the city to a new park built on the outskirts of town. So now there is no picnic or parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Didn't we get a lot of hype about how the show was being ruined last year too? How did it actually turn out for those who went? I've had this one on my list of things to do for quite a while and I hope I'll be able to participate.

This year, my loving bride has requested that we do the lansing to Dearborn Run with our '08 Maxwell LC. We're planning to do the run, and then stay for the OCF. I'm hoping the folks at Greenfield Village will let me enter it. I'd be really disappointed if I had to leave the Maxwell in the trailer while I watch other people drive their cars around the show grounds. It is a truly rare car, so I hope that works in it's favor.

As for the entry fee, I really can't see myself getting too worked up over it. Mixed in with the cost of gas, food and lodging for a week-long trip to a destination 1,200 miles from home, the extra $30 for the entry fee will seem pretty small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Let's be careful here and be sure to NOT refer to the OCF as a car show. It will give the unknowing the wrong impression about this special event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

I second that. Tim. I am not a fan of car shows at all. The OCF is a very special event. In my opinion, the setting makes it stand out.
The only things I noticed that were different in 2016, where the parking seemed better for RVs, and there were some "Ford Security" people that were a little overzealous. But remember, I am the guy who got pulled over by a Keystone Cop. Booth caught it on film.
As far as the price increase. I travel close to 400 miles round trip. I purchased a motorhome and enclosed trailer mainly for this event. $30.00 more isn't going to scare me off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Stauffer on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I'm probably way outside the norm on this one. My wife and I have participated in tours all over the country in the last sixteen years. We very rarely go back to the same place but enjoy the friendships we've made on tours and anticipate seeing old and meeting new friends on tours. The OCF, Henry Ford, & Greenfield Village have always been on my bucket list. Last year we were privileged to spend two days in the Henry Ford, one day at the Piquette Plant, and two days at the OCF. People enjoyed seeing the Stroh's beer truck and we enjoyed the experience but I don't need to go back. There are way more interesting places to see than I'll have years to go. I pray for good health to keep on touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

From one beer lover to another Stroh's Beer!! Yes i really enjoyed seeing the Stroh's Beer Truck!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Can you still buy Stroh's? Haven't seen it in a long while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

I think Strohs is the gutwash my neighbor drinks. It's always good with the outside temp at 90+ degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Finding nothing on the Henry Ford website, I inquired and received an email in response. The important part said, "Registration for those events is closed to the public and only available to folks who have participated in past years. In the unlikely scenario where we do not reach our capacity of vehicles for the show, registration may open to the public. If you have participated in the past, registration for Motor Muster and Old Car Festival open on March 1st and June 1st, respectively.

In short, if you haven't been in it before, forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:10 am:

Who's up for crashing the gates ? Anyone here have an armored T ?
I know of several with WWI light armored vehicles. A full-on assault
with period vehicles, weapons, and dress might add a little spice to the
experience ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:22 am:

I think the neighbor's got an old Enfield rifle I can borrow for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:06 am:

$50.00. So what. I can't even fathom how much it cost to put that show together. The taxes on those grounds, the clean up afterwards, the bobbies in the streets. How about putting all the grass back in where it was rutted by cars. Seems to me if you don't want to go don't. There were lots of people trying to get there cars in the show that couldn't. Maybe they will now. If I was the OCF I'd be making a list off this forum and use it to decide who gets in next year. Good job OCF. Hope you take my $50.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:32 am:

grass
Not as if we leave the grounds as we find them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Well, despite the negativity that I've read in a few posts on this forum, I'm still really excited that my wife asked me to take her to the OCF and Lansing to Dearborn Run for our 10th anniversary vacation. The post-event photos and videos always seem very positive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Well this information is rather a turn off for those of us who are shifting into the T scene and would be supportive of participating in the OCF. I would expect a more sensible registration process, to encourage fresh cars / something new to see about the event.
I live near Greenfield Village and have attended the OCF for 30 years as a spectator, I'm about to have a finished '22 T roadster in the summer and was looking forward to supporting...

"Registration for those events is closed to the public and only available to folks who have participated in past years. In the unlikely scenario where we do not reach our capacity of vehicles for the show, registration may open to the public. If you have participated in the past, registration for Motor Muster and Old Car Festival open on March 1st and June 1st, respectively.

In short, if you haven't been in it before, forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Eric,It's a great event and i guess we can be slow to change.I remember when they put the curbs in which i don't like but we got over it! It's one of really few places where you can see and use some of the really old and rare cars. I sure hope to see our friend Rob there with the 6-40!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Not having a car in it doesn't mean you can't go and enjoy it, which I aim to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Steve, et al;

Not having one's car there so a guy can play the "Look-at-ME !"
game is unacceptable to some and makes going pointless. Then
they are just another schmuck in the crowd without their bragging
tool.

And FIFTY BUCKS !!! That's like the cost of two tickets to go see
the crappy movies being pumped out these days ! Or 1/10th the
cost of a Rolling Stones concert ticket !

I have noticed that in spite of the high cost of living, it remains fairly
popular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I'll enjoy being just another schmuck until somebody dies and makes room for my bragging tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Driving our F-250 diesel pickup pulling 32 foot trailer to Detroit and back - $700 (fuel)
Hotel room - four nights - $400
Meals and drinks - $300 (depends on quality of gin)
Incidentals (more drinks) - $250
New registration fee - $50

Experiencing what's on the link below - Priceless

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bey387oysgjyy6/Video%20Sep%2014%2C%2011%2012%2019%20A M.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Marty,

I was quite shocked and extremely disappointed in hearing this news about changes to the OCF! To now double the price to attend from years past AND cut back the wristbands to, what? Only 2 instead of 4? This is completely unacceptable to me, who has brought 2 cars there that have been the only examples there since first going in 2011. At some point a person has to say enough is enough! Like at an auction, one bidder finally has to call it quits. So what, in another couple years are participants going to have to pay a $100 to bring their car to the OCF? Every participant works hard to ready their old car, their towing vehicle, time off work, planning, family members, gas, food, lodging, souvenirs and some traveling enormous distances. At some point everyone has to say enough is enough! It appears they have not learned from the history of the OCF and when that happens, history is bound to repeat itself..... How sad!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

My mistake, first time going was 2010.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

I agree, I don't like the increase. As many have said, I hope this isn't the beginning of even bigger changes. I will also probably only enter one instead of two cars. However, it is one of my favorite events of the year, and I'll keep attending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Hacked OCF "establishment" emails, which can be viewed on Wikileaks, show discussions about whether or not to eventually move the event over the nearby border into Canada or perhaps Mexico to save money...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

My loving bride and I will attend the OCF for the first time this year and we will have fun. If allowed, I will gladly hand over $50 for the opportunity to drive one of my antique cars amongst crowd of old cars in the beautiful setting of historic buildings at Greenfield Village.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

From the Saul Alinski playbook:

If a person wanted to raise hell with the event, alert the media that
it is a racist event, citing toilet facilities are only provided for white
men (as indicated by the signs on the doors.

By the time the media gets done blowing this out of proportion, all those
in charge now will be forced out and a new regime can get things back
on track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Well,

I have never been and never plan to attend.

I have the unique opportunity to see private car collections and spend time with interesting people in my travels.

If I stop at a museum - it is usually obscure and tucked away off the beaten path.

I have always been that way.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

This topic is a sore spot with me. Bottom line........without my car you can't have a show! Increase your gate fee, or find other ways to bring in funds to cover the cost of the event. I spend multi hours to get my car ready for the event, the cost and effort to get my car there and now I have to pay you so I can show it. Something extremely wrong there.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Ed,

In 40+ years of attending what I thought were car shows, now you're going
to tell me they weren't because YOUR car wasn't there ?

I am SO disappointed !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

I went about 5 years ago and brought my speedster with the Wisconsin decals on it. Now they want the car to be period correct, so not worth taking my car. I was disappointed because there were so many cars that I could never get out of low gear.

I would not hesitate to go as a spectator. Lots of great cars and owners to visit with.

If you havent been there before I would still try to register . all they can say is no and return your check. I'm thinking of you Erik. Someone making the decision might just say we need this car especially since you need to send in pictures with your application. Go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

I spoke with my daughter (whom has always gone with me to the OCF) about these new changes and told her, I think we need to rethink this. She completely agreed with me! It appears that the time is coming very soon that it is to be said; Been there, done that.....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I've lost track of how many years I have attended the OCF with one of my vehicles. I remember the feeling of being "welcome", the free train ride ticket, the free carousal ticket and the free "no fee" admission to be part of the show. That is all gone now. I doubt that I will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

I'm more disappointed that you have to be on the "A" list to attend the show. Only if the "A" list has an opening can someone new attend. The money part isn't the best but I'm use to paying way more for entry fees in the dual-sport world (motorcycle).

So $50.00 is doable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Jack,You Will Be Missed!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you don't get spooked off because of what may or may not be facts! Your too good of a person to get run offt because of some pissing in the wind!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:22 am:

This place eats a lot of cash to maintain high quality atmosphere and exhibits. I don't care for the tone of this increase, but have also never seen an exhibitor there who looked like they had to forgo a meal to afford to be there.
The first year I exhibited I heard the same comment about needing to be a previous exhibitor. I sent a photo of my ride to a very polite Mrs. Cadberry, who hooked me up with no problem. They will want to see the fee, and your proof of insurance up front.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Steve: the OCF and MM sites usually aren't updated until about the time registration opens. Registration was supposed to be only for past participants last year, too. I don't know this for a fact, but I think we can expect limited registration -- especially Model Ts -- in the future.

Ron: I'm not sure what the entrance fee is for visitors but it's not cheap. So, yes, they get the visitors entrance fee and the participants fee. (The Henry Ford members get in for free.) Plus, I believe there is a five dollar parking fee for visitors. On top of that, they make money off of the very expensive concessions, rides, gift shop, etc. I don't got to shows where they charge me to show my car AND charge visitors to see it. That's doesn't mean I won't go to either event this year. I've attended every OCF for the past 54 years and narrated OCF for 35 of the 67 events. My kids grew up at the show. They plan their weekends so they can go.

Bud/Kenneth: Parking is a big issue now that the Village has lost the right/ability to park in other non-Village areas. I'm not management but there is a lot of unused space in the Village itself that, it seems to me, could be used.

Tim and Ed: yes, OCF is a special event and different than most car shows BUT with out participants and their cars there would be no OCF.

Willis: Who knows what's next?? I guess it's like testing the waters. If enough people are willing to pay the $50 this year, does that encourage management to make it $75 in 2018?? Will registration dip to it's former low point of 200 - 250 cars!!

Ed: In my opinion, they don't have to increase the gate OR the registration fee. The initial $25 fee was to help offset the cost of the event. However, this being the 67th OCF, do you really think they would continue to have the event if they weren't making money??? In other words, it is profitable for them.

Scott: Yes, there are a lot of car owners who can amply afford the increase. Let's face it, now days, this has become a rich mans hobby. BUT there are a lot of us in the hobby who are blue collar, working class Joe's with mortgages, college tuitions, etc. who perhaps cannot afford the $25 or $50. They may not be able to attend because of the increase due to, in my opinion, greed.

I also think it's part of the Village's attempt to cut and/or limit the number of cars. And there we are. Back to a show with 200 - 250 cars down from about 700 vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Marty,

"Back to a show with 200 - 250 cars down from about 700 vehicles."

Well, maybe that's exactly what they want. Half the cars at double the cost means their accounting stays the same, their fixed costs will largely be the same, parking hassles go down, spectators are probably not able to "process" any more than 250 cars anyway, so an additional 5 or 6 hundred would only yield diminishing returns from a spectator point of view while taxing Village resources.

I don't think we can call it greed, because I can't see how they'd make more money at $50/per car when they must expect, and even desire, to have far fewer cars, based on the new fee structure and increasing application scrutiny. They know they'll chase away lots of participants and that's all according to plan, most likely.

I'll still be there, and I'll waive hello to you as I drive around the village.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:30 am:

The overall negative tone of this thread amazes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Well Tim, why don't you add a ray sunshine and a fresh perspective? Have been to OCF?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Jerry, try this- be grateful the festival exists. Better to have this event in any form rather than not at all. Calls for boycotting in an attempt to sabotage the event are ludicrous.

Of course this is just my opinion as I would never post anything factual...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Jerry: it is as I suggested; an attempt to decrease the vehicles. But, why ruin a good thing? OCF has gotten back to what it was and should be: a great, fun, unique event. I was a consultant to The Henry Ford for 35 years and in the past, when they wanted to make big changes or needed help solving a problem, I recommended that they pool a few participants and involve them. When management wanted to start the companion event, the Motor Muster, I suggested just that. We had several meetings with potential participants and with their help the MM is what it is today. It would be nice if they did that now with OCF. Involve us. I think we can help. We want MM and OCF to succeed and be profitable.

Tim, I just want to be clear that I am not suggesting a boycott. My intent was to inform the members of this forum. Many have helped me in the past and I just wanted to share what I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I've never been. I don't know if I ever will. Long way for me. I'm sure it is a great thing to see and can't say I wouldn't like to see it. BUT.....I will say this. Being open ONLY to people who have been there before is indeed a turn off. I don't have anything worthy of entering. I know that. But to tell me I couldn't enter the damned thing even if I owned a pristine mint condition first 1500 or 2500 or whatever it is Model T because I've never showed it there before??????? Sounds like a boys club to me, and don't sound like good ol' boys are too welcome unless they want to come as a spectator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

ok so let's say they change it and it's open to new participants only- how will that work for everybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

I entered and was accepted four years ago for the first time. Granted, I expected to be, and was accepted entering N #3 and a Model K. Point being, at one of the peak times concerning number of participants I was accepted as a new entry.

I'm not sure how else they would do it regarding giving previous participants first preference. Those cars and owners have been vetted and should be given preference. The same thing happens at Hershey and Chickasha regarding spaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Tim,

Where did I suggest I'm ungrateful? I'm 51 years old, I've been to 50 Old Car Festivals. I'd say I'm pretty grateful. As I mentioned, "I'll be there", that means I'm not boycotting anything.

Again, have you ever been to OCF?

Marty,

Thing is, WE see a huge turnout as a good thing. The Village apparently does not. You know I agree with you, but I think I see where they're coming from. They're basically looking for ways to make the same money for less effort. I think it's called efficiency. I don't support it, but see their "business sense" taking over. They've done the same thing with the Halloween Nights. Every year it gets a tad smaller, but last Oct. the crowds were still huge. I guess that makes the planners look successful... till they cut too much and numbers drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Hal,There is plenty of rust and faded paint at the OCF. Cars and trucks do not need to be perfect as many of what they used back in the day are there.Sure there are a few pristine high dollar cars but almost all are used and if you ask you might get a ride or at least a demo? I hope people from the special events will clear things up well in advance??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Me to Bud. Looking forward to meeting you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Every year for the past few this subject has come up with about the same positive or doom and gloom comments being posted. Then people go, have a good time, enjoy them self's and all is forgotten till next year. Still it's fun to read all the comments! With plenty of cars, shows and swap meets within 300 miles, these shows and Hershey don't even make my long bucket list. I hope that everyone that attends has a great time and post videos and photos of the shows. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Mark,

That's a good perspective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

I am with Tim, sure there are negative elements within the hobby, but a lot to be grateful for.

As a possible outlet for the grumps and curmudgeons, perhaps a dedicated negative car
event could be organized with bad weather, high fees, distance parking, high priced and filthy
lodging, .... oh yeah, and forced attendance ! ... maybe linked to State registration and more
fees ? This way everyone can get their grumpies out and enjoy the rest of the scene ?

Just trying to think outside the box .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Nobody suggested that, Tim. I'm just telling you how it makes someone feel that knows they will never have a chance less'n somebody dies or pulls some strings. Like I say, I don't know if I will ever make it up there as a spectator, much less as a participant, so it ain't no skin off my teeth either way. But the statement Steve received sure has some arrogant overtones. Now, that's just the way I see it. Take it for what you paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

I travel in our fifth wheel from coast to coast with my 11 in tow. There is no other car show than this one. It's not a car show as I said but a festivel. Steam trains, period correct clothing and some pretty cool people. My 1 st was last year and I'm from Detroit but now live in Tennessee. Long drive and I'd pay $25.00 per person any day. It cost me 4 times that for a day at Disney land. The smell of kerosene and the cars. Friends I've met and cars you'd never see in a lifetime. Heck I even ran into Brent Mise. I think it's the longest running car show in the US. Go ahead and back out. There's some good people out there in T land would love to have your spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Where else can you pull up and camp ( after backing up a few feet :-) ) behind Ingrid Bergman's Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

So I'm telling my wife about this and mentioned what someone said above about the prior participants cars already being vetted. Her response? "That's BS. A car can change a lot over the course of a year. Somebody could add a water pump, e-timer, disc brakes and electrify their oil lamps over the course of a year." Hey, her words, not mine. But that's funny right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I think everything is ok excpt disc brakes?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

I have been going continuously to the OCF since 2005, first as a spectator. Then in 2007 we got our first car and registered for 2008 OCF and was accepted before there was any fees. Due to heavy monsoon rains at the latest time we were to leave for Dearborn and having a flatbed trailer, we had to leave the old car at home. 2009 we were accepted again but, as it turned out, our oldest daughter was graduating from basic training a few days after the OCF so, again the old car stayed home. We were able to take in the OCF as spectators on Saturday on our way to Fort Jackson, SC for the graduation ceremony. 2010, our 3rd try we were successful in bringing our old car and have ever since. That was the first year of the $25 fee. Now an increase in the fee is one thing but, cutting back on the number of wristbands is another! Participants received 4 wristbands in years past allowing entry into the museum as well as the village. Are they to cut back to 2 now? So, participants bringing 4 people will have to buy 2 entry tickets then at $27 each plus the added cost for the museum which, if I'm not mistaken, is another $10-$12 each plus $6 parking they add on even though they rode with you and your trailer! So, let's add this up; 2 entries at $27 plus museum $12 (?) and parking $6 equals $84 plus registration fee $50 equals $134 versus years past at $25. Yes, it's a rich man's hobby, I know! The participants with the giant motor homes have a grand old time camping and that is fine if you can afford it. All the grand daddy war bucks don't have a problem paying the potentially added on $84 on top of the $50 registration fee. So, yes, there is some degree of greed involve here.
Richard, I don't need your approval or blessing to decide not to participate anymore. I am on the fence and will decide when the letter comes. For people to take my place, they are looking for other vehicles besides Model Ts. Which I brought to the table. That's what I love about the OCF is all the non T vehicles that come to the event that I would normally not have the chance to see. I have seen plenty of T vehicles and enjoy my own. I could save about $1,200 by not going and put that into my cars or garage atmosphere. As Rob has said, my memories and photos of past OCF are priceless! I was quite disappointed this past year by so few videos that were put on YouTube of the OCF. There used to be many more out there. This is my take on what it sounds like is happening. You can disagree and open your wallets all you like. I still believe this is a sad beginning of more to come.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Here's an idea. Keep the fee at $25.00 and open up the Ford proving grounds next door for an additional $25.00. Just think how traffic would lighten up with a couple of hundred vintage cars zooming around the track. I bet you could park a lot of trailers there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Well, this is both enlightening and disappointing at the same time. I am new to the hobby, but born and raised and work at the HF museum and GFV in my younger days. So, returning to the OCF or the muster with my FrankenT was on my bucket list.

Creating a WWI Model T military machine gun carrier, I thought would be a unique Model T and certainly timely with the 100 year anniversary of WWI. But, what I am reading here leads me to believe that the vehicles are "judged" to be worthy of admittance and my T salad would not qualify as it is largely representative of a vehicle that might or might not have ever existed.

I'd be pushing it to get it parade and show worthy for this summer, but now sounds like it never will be.
Plenty of other parades, shows and events, but I was hoping for something back "home".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:14 am:

I would suggest until we see something set in stone people should contact the special events people about sending a app with pictures if you have not attended lately? I understand winter is the season of gripe & Bitch but are we jumping the gun? Some of those posting have never attended and some never will and just need a place to gripe! Speaking of Gripe & Bitch,the wife just informed me we have about a foot of fresh snow!! No i will not be in a better mood when i get off the backhoe!! Grumpy old Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Hi Bud, You are right, of course. I think we must simply wait and see until something official comes from them.

Marty, I respect what you said and that you no doubt have a source of information that is quite close to the action. But, that said, they have changed their minds on things like this before.

My biggest gripe about the 2016 OCF was the motorhome and trailer parking. We had to park in the lot next to the museum. When we came back to our trailer at about 9pm after the gaslight parade, spectators had parked us in, blocking the back of our covered trailer so I couldn't put our Model T in it. I think they were at a wedding reception or something that didn't get over until Midnight or later. We had orange cones put out so people wouldn't block the back of our trailer, but the spectators simply moved them and parked us in anyway. Very disappointing. Parking for OCF participants has always been somewhat of a problem, but this year it was the absolute worst.

Just my opinion.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Two Ideas:
If two wrist bands are a problem, Join the Friends of The Henry Ford. A couple of hundred bucks that goes to the museum and you can visit the village and museum every day, do to all kinds of neat events and even a dinner party or two. In addition, you can give away the wrist bands and take the whole family in with your car.
Best deal since hot fudge. Gets you into the museum and village, discounts on anything you buy, solves the wrist band issue and benefits the Henry Ford. Everybody wins.

Another idea...how about if the museum charges the 50 per car, or even a little more, and then credits that to anyone who joins a Membership in the Henry Ford? Might be a way to increase annual membership and activities. Kind of like what they do with your daily pass for those who choose to sign up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Hey Willis. I wasn't offering blessings or approval. It's your business whether or not you go to the OCF. I personally don't care if you go or not. I don't i owl why you jumped on me and don't care. I think I met you there and you were whining then. Maybe not. 3 nit guts parking a heck of a show and mostly good people do $50.00 I'm in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

I never said a thing to you Willis. Not sure where that came from. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

I like Jons idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Wow Kieth I remember that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Sorry Richard, it wasn't me you met last OCF. In fact, I didn't have a single complaint about it! The only time I ever enquired about at the OCF was in 2011 when they shortened the gaslight parade and no longer went through the cornfields. And then no one could tell me why. I didn't complain last year when they shortened it again by not letting the cars go through the town center. I am only complaining here about the double whammy of the fee increase AND wristband cut back. Doubling the fee is one thing but, cutting back the wristbands is too much! Becoming a member does not help when we can only go once a year during OCF due to vacation restrictions here at home/work. Though a $50 credit towards membership sounds doable. Would have to check more closely but, their not going to do that, is my guess.
With all do respect, don't confuse me with someone you met at the festival whom clearly was not happy, you said.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Willis: I'm afraid I have to agree with you: it probably is the sad beginning of sad things to come.

Jerry: I still think they'll lose money at least on concessions, gift shop, etc.

Hal: tell your wife they are getting more strict with entrance photos and, I believe, with questions on the entrance form.

Kenneth: Based on my very, very good source, I believe we are not jumping the gun and what I said in first comments that started this thread will happen. Unless, management sees a thread like this and the comments and changes its mind.

Keith: see my above comment to Kenneth regarding a possible change of mind. As to parking, that is a major concern. They are running out of room for all the trailers and motor homes. But, as I've said in a previous comment, there seems to me to be a lot of room with in the Village grounds. Have you ever driven around the Village grounds? Not the actual Village but the property beyond. If you've ever driven into the Village through the Eagle gate, you'd see what I mean.

Another thought: If they are going to first accept only those vehicles that have been there in the past and then other cars, won't that make for a boring show year after year? And what if it is a special or unique vehicle that's never been to OCF before? Perhaps like Robert's? Would that be accepted as one of the "first" and bump another off the list? Although I miss being a consultant there and part of the planning process, I'm glad I decided to make 2016 my last -- but not as a participant. I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Marty,

You bring up some very good points. Here's a thought; if they're going to be more restrictive with participants cars, and parking is an issue, why not be more restrictive with people's tow vehicles? Meaning, no more motor homes & camping to allow more participants to bring their antique cars. Food for thought!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Not specific to the OCF, but something isn't kosher to charge participants to show their vehicles and then charge the spectators to see the same vehicles.

Kinda like charging a car seller and a car buyer at an auction. Getting it on both ends.

On my 42 GPW, I show it often and, as a convertible, is extremely dependant upon the weather. If I pay a $10 fee to possibly win a prize or to talk to others about the hobby, then it is worth it. And, if it looks like rain, I just don't go.

What's the policy at the OCF? Pay $50 to park your windowless or topless car out in the rain?

Maybe part of the museum's marketing thinking is that by being selective and limiting the participants, it will be a badge of honor to be "allowed" to pay the fee and get in the festival. Others will bet into a lottery type or waiting list system, just to be included with the "in" crowd. Maybe that's their thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Marty, Yes, I have been through the Eagle gate other back areas of the village, and agree that there are possibilities for parking in some of these back areas of the village grounds.

Jon, The possibility of joining the Friends of the Museum is a good one, but doesn't help people like us who come from long distances and don't live close enough to use the annual pass very often. We live in Wisconsin and it's a 400 mile drive each way to Dearborn and usually results in a two night stay with related costs also.

Parking areas could include the back areas of the village grounds, the POEE lot, the Visteon lot across the freeway, and perhaps other Ford lots in the area. Be creative on this - think outside the box maybe.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

I wish I was in with the "in" crowd !

Guess I'll have to be content with being out with the "out" crowd, eh ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

There is supposed to be a "letter" sent out this Friday, from a good source in the bike group, explaining the changes. Based on what the bike group was told, there will be unhappy people! The first post is accurate as far as is known.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Robert, Parking your vehicle is up to you. My touring car carries a non-period cover for the possible rain. They seem to be good with that, as it is just for overnight. Sometimes the rain comes suddenly, and I was fortunate another owner rushed to put the top up to keep it as dry as possible.

It will be interesting to see what changes are planned. Been going since 1961, with a car since 2003.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Well, if these things ring true, my space for a non T will be open! God Save The Old Car Festival!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gift on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:10 am:

Eric, this is a great event and I think we can change slowly. I remember when they put the curb, I did not like it, but we overtook it.
If there is a need for a unique clock, you can see http://amzn.to/2iJzxoz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

William, do you know if the letter is going out to just the bike group?

Rhetorical question, but if someone has an answer: Why was the bike group informed before the letter went out (I was informed as a favor on a confidential bases not to reveal my source) and not the old car folks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:47 am:

The person in the bike group was called into a meeting and told about the changes. He was asked to make some really tough decisions, but declined to do so. He requested a meeting with whomever made the first decision to restrict participation, but was told they would not meet with him. He was then told about the "letter" but has no idea as to what it will say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:44 am:

The reputed LETTER is supposed to be issued today. Perhaps somebody will post it here to confirm or dispel some of the speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:10 am:

William, thanks.

Can it be divulged who the meeting was with? What the "tough" decisions were? Who the bike person was refused a meeting with? And do we know why management had a meeting with the bikers but not with car owners?

Steve, unless management changes its mind since my first post, most of the details are not speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:11 am:

I should be sleeping but,The bicycle parking is behind the Eagle Tavern and i noticed this year it was very congested.If there is a wedding i would guess many park back as close as they can get so i wonder if this is part of the rub?? There is a lot of room/space back by the Eagle Gate but who has the say on use? If i remember i heard a tale last year that a carnival outfit was to run the Village and event;s?? When deprived of sleep i get dumber that usual so please treat this as my usual fart in the wind!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

I got the letter today. Pretty much sums up what Marty said.

$50.00 NON-REFUNDABLE application fee. If you do not get approved you do not get your money back.

You can purchase two additional wristbands for $20.00 each. (Those are refundable)

No campers or motorhomes.

Pass and review is limited. You will have indicate you are interested and then you may be chosen.

Special theme is Lincoln this year. I think I will paste a penny on my radiator to see if that helps my chances. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

A $50 non-refundable APPLICATION fee? And you can get only 2 additional wristbands? What if you are a family of 4?
I've never been, but in the reports of past events makes it sound like a "must do." Kinda hard for me to do, living in California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

It sounds like the changes made at Old Car Festival will make the new Prewar Event at the Gilmore Museum even more appealing and popular. Personally, I like the grounds of the Gilmore Museum much better than the Henry Ford theme park and the Gilmore Museum is much more suited to car collectors. The Gilmore Museum event will offer touring and the roads around Hickory Corners are great for vintage cars.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/events-calendar/calendar/action~agenda/page_offs et~2/request_format~html/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Hmmm,.... gotta' wonder how they figure they deserve to keep your fifty bucks, just to tell you that your car is not approved? This sounds ridiculous, but it would actually be more fair to tell you your car is approved, let you and your car in, and after the event, charge you fifty bucks to let you out! Like I said, that's ridiculous, and would never happen of course, but it WOULD be more fair! At least they wouldn't be expecting people to just throw money away, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Their plan will most certainly work. It is to eliminate participants because of space constraints in tow vehicle parking. People applying do not want to lose $50 and not be accepted. That will curtail new applicants from applying and scare away some old participants with having to buy more wristbands to get their family in! For a family of 4 you're looking at $90 to get in! Their plan most certainly will work! As Marty has said, the new management of events does not care about the participants! It's about cutting back on the huge popularity of the event! That is their logic, my fellow enthusiasts........ How sad indeed, to ruin such an historic event..........

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

There will be no new applicants. We've already been told we need not apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:53 am:

I have watched this all with distant amusement. A sad deal,
indeed, but pretty much out of my reach with a TT. But this
really takes the cake:

" $50.00 NON-REFUNDABLE application fee. If you do not get
approved you do not get your money back. "

WTF ?

Who do these people think they are ? The arrogance here can
be smelled all the way here on the west coast !

I was always under the impression that the HFM was wonderfully
interactive and accessible to the historically minded. How did
these axxclowns get hold of the reigns ?

Fifty bucks just to TAKE my application ? Someone needs a
boot up their axx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:37 am:

If I understand this correctly, to apply one must have attended with the same antique car in the past, it is now $50 to apply, they may or may not accept me, if not accepted I do not get my $50 back they keep it, if I am accepted it will cost me another $20 each times two max for my family. Maybe it is time for a all Chevrolet, Buick, Dodge Brothers, etc., show near by. Henry Ford wouldn't mind, his thing was lower prices. This is the one time living in California is a good thing, it's to far away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:07 am:

This whole thing reeks of horse manure.

Is there currently any organized effort to make contact with the powers that be?

I'd like to share a few choice words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:27 am:

I sold my '15 Touring that I took to OCF two years ago. Couldn't make it last year. Was planning on (trying) to bring my '13 Touring this year. Well, guess it aint gonna happen. Screw it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:35 am:

This isn't about celebrating history ...

This is about making $$$$ ...

If folks opt out - things will change.

If folks keep applying & keep bringing their car,
things will get more expensive.

Those who participate in this are literally " buying into " the belief that vintage car owners are obligated to pay an admission fee for " the privilege " of having paid spectators view their cars ...

It is enough that private individuals purchase - restore - maintain vintage & classic automobiles.

They should not be charged to display them to the Public.

Keep participating - things will only get more $$$$$ ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:43 am:

I said that same thing Jim on January 7th in this post and was told to mind my own business because I never had a car there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 09:59 am:

I received the letter in today's mail. If the plan was to limit the number of applicants, it is working. My family and I will not be attending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:00 am:

As I am unqualified to participate, my opinion counts for nothing. But I believe Jim is exactly right. "Those who participate in this are literally 'buying into' the belief that vintage car owners are obligated to pay an admission fee for 'the privilege' of having paid spectators view their cars ..." The only way this will change is for enough people to make this effort to limit participation a huge success by not participating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:06 am:

You were never told to mind your own business!! You were asked if you had ever attended?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Great Venue..Great show...great attendance. Perhaps the Staff running the show is trying to get it back to a "manageable" scale.
As mentioned, membership in the Museum Friends Society is enjoyable and I will continue to support the Henry Ford. Don't know about the OCF.

Guys, Look at the Gilmore Spring show. It could be an even greater event. Also at a fantastic venue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:35 am:

My wife and I have been the last five years and have really enjoyed it. We have given rides, dressed in our vintage outfits, answered questions and really felt we added to the festive atmosphere there. Last year we took our 1904 Northern instead of a Model T and made many rounds thru the village. The $50 fee doesn't bother me, but not refunding it if not accepted is unbelievable. Not allowing us to stay there in our motor home would be the final straw. So sad to see the demise of such a great and fun event. I will miss all those great people we have met there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:45 am:

There is a very large car show in Frankenmuth same weekend. It's a beautiful town, with a lot of things to see. http://www.frankenmuthautofest.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Yeah, let's show'em who's boss! Let's conspire to sabotage the event so that attendance declines and this special occasion is then canceled- that'll teach'em to try and control things and cover costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 10:50 am:

See you there Tim???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Yesterday got a letter covering the Homecoming in Richmond. Perhaps us model T guys look at going to that instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

I'm really liking these last several posts offering alternatives to the OCF. A parallel is happening for the Chickasha pre war swap meet. Previously the 'big 3' pre war swap meets were Bakersfield, Hershey and Chickasha. Since swap space prices at the latter venue have been increasing of late (from $35 to $50 inside) and vendor participation has precipitously fallen off, we've seen a rise in the Virginia pre war, Richmond IN and now the huge Pate Swap Meet is opening a pre war field for the first time this year. I'll be vending for 4 days in a $35 Pate space this year instead of Chickasha and maybe other OCF s will come into being that are participant friendly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Jerry Kramer... I agree.. I have to drive 1200 miles to get there.. From Michigan now retired in Florida...Don't mind the cost to get there. If anyone that has DRIVEN inside the village there is no comparison.. BUT... I would like to still stay over night.. Been going on and off since 1975...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Tim Rogers, it would appear that the management of the OCF are the ones "sabotaging".
The main problem with the OCF is overcrowding. I don't blame them for attempting to alleviate the problem. I've been missing the Frankenmuth Auto Fest for the last 4 years, to be in Dearborn.
All of the proceeds from the Frankenmuth show go to charities, and there are cash drawings every day, up to $1000.00.
There is also no approval process, or pre-registration. Show up with a pre-1978 car, and enjoy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration